NH Homesteader's journal

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That's awesome, I may have to adopt that rule someday. For now I'm lucky, DD1 is 7 and fairly rational, DD2 is 2 (will be in a few weeks anyway) and sits in the cart, and DS is content in a baby carrier. I time my trips so DS sleeps through the store!

It's been cold. I hate it. Every winter I hate winter more! DH is in a 2 year training program at his job and after that I'm going to bug him about moving again! We've researched homeschooling laws, gun laws, weather and taxes and it's Tennessee or Virginia if anywhere. Ah a girl can daydream right? Sigh.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Don't mean to make you feel badly but, one chick hatched today! This is the nest that was "added to" by other hens, the 2nd hen went broody & they actually split the eggs :hu side by side! today I heard a ruckus and went to check on them, so TWO broody hens are growling and pecking....but I just knew I was hearing a chick AND there was the shell. We shall see how this works out.

Today made me remember why I want my farm. Only work a couple hrs this am, then done and off until Wed. Came home, finished fixing mower, mowed a few hrs., let goats into a very grown field of clover, vetch, plantain, dandelion and to die for Bermuda.....watched them peacefully grazing that...gave everyone cool water, checked on mares in lower pasture (where I put them this AM...fresh graze).....then found my chick. It's a nice day. :) I love my little farm! Work schedule & weather have been issues for past 6 wks. This next few days, I can relax and work my butt off at home. LOVE IT!

I'm working on a 3 yr plan to quit outside work all together:thumbsup

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Run a tractor in exchange for hay? Uh... Yeah!
Sign me up!

I'm laughing here because my D-I-L just called me and wanted me to give her puppy a shot because neither she nor my son can do it. I told them I'd be glad to do it - but in exchange my son has to look at the tractor. I love a good trade, lol!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ok.... I must confess. I've been keeping a secret from (most of) you.... But after a good appt today it's time to confess- I'm pregnant! 11+ weeks. Due in February!

Do you understand why my garden is a mess of weeds? I'M SO TIRED!!! And I can't lift over 25 lbs, so my DH has been doing more than his fair share of farm work the past 6 weeks or so.

Did I mention I'm exhausted?

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
0730171946.jpg
0730172018a-1.jpg
Look, we have walls! These are some of them anyway. The rest are in a pile elsewhere.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Went grocery shopping, spent a bajillion dollars stocking up so I don't have to go again for a while. As I'm shopping, my phone rings. My meat birds are in. Seriously, couldn't call at 8 am? Had to wait til almost 11? Grocery store is 25 miles from my house in one direction, feed store/meat birds are 20 miles in the other direction. Came home, fed DD, getting back in the car for meat birds and feed store run. Sigh.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I would rather spend my money at the feed store than the grocery store

I DO :lol:

It's sad when the only places you have shopped in a couple weeks is TSC or Lowe's. :idunno The only reason I am in another store is because I have work there. Last week I actually went to a Big Lots and walked around to see what was there! Shocking. I went into a Target last year and almost had an anxiety attack. :hide

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends baby sleeping in the parents' room for the first year anyway, so I'm not worried until a year from February lol

My husband also can put on an addition for cheap, his boss gets discounted materials and they can do it all themselves. So we'll see...