NH Homesteader's journal

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
This is rare for us to buy something we can diy. I would never have paid the price they wanted!!

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Here's a simple 4 minute tutorial that explains the simplicity of Kratky method. You can start with a mason jar or plastic coffee can, placed in front of a window that receives good light.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have sporadic internet here, I will watch the video as soon as my phone lets me!

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
FYI, Kratky can be done with Miracle Gro and Epsom salt, as well as making your own net cups from materials on hand. You'll get reasonable results from the Miracle Gro. But side by side tests show that the formulated HP solutions produce better results.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I read up on that a little yesterday and was wondering about using manure tea and/or compost tea. I suppose one could give it a shot but I'm guessing if it worked great more people would be doing it.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We bought some of the solutions to start. We'll see how it goes!

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I think I read warning about doing so, and this from the DIY'ers, so they had no vested interest in seeing to it that folks bought the solutions. If I tried the manure or compost tea with this system, I'd do so outdoors. I think it's important to keep the environment in the Kratky system as close to bacteria free as possible.

That being said, folks with aquaponic systems are having fantastic results introducing red worms into the growing media. They clean out the solids that make their way into the growing media from the fish tanks, and further enrich the media beds for the plants. The fish don't have any problems with the red worms, and the system has enough oxygen that the worms don't drown. I think most of these systems work on a flood and drain principle.

I'll be most pleased when I can move beyond the "they say" phase of my recommendations to being able to say, "This is what I do/have done, and this is what works best for me."

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Sleep regressions are awesome. DD1 never did this to me. Whyyyy? Lol

I ordered my seeds last night. Haven't received a Baker Creek catalog yet, I'm sure I'll find something in there when I get it that I must have, but I got all the major things ordered from Fedco. I added in some odd things I've never grown before, it'll be fun!

They're coming to do a few things at the house today. The big boss is meeting the building inspector here to sign the certificate of occupancy (apparently that's a thing). And he's going to check out the roof and a few things we want fixed. Also they have to put down the threshold on the floor between the two halves . That is the last major thing that has to be done in the house.

I got DD2's room (currently the play room since she sleeps.in our room) almost set up. That's where almost all the boxes were so that means we're mostly unpacked! I have loads of stuff set aside to be donated. Amazing that we gained 500sqft and I'm getting rid of a bunch of things!

Maybe I can doze back off for a few hours here... or it'll be a long day!