NH Homesteader's journal

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Did you use the 4x4" field fencing or the 2x4" stuff? I don't care about little critters getting in so the field fencing would be ok I would think (and cheaper)?

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Cool thanks. It has to be stretched right? I'm going to price that out right now!

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
If I was going to do a batch of meat birds, I think I'd use cattle panel with chicken wire attached, run a hot wire around the perimeter. Cattle panel, as you know has infinite uses, can easily be moved from place to place.

If I have a broody hen this season, and my feed store (NOT TSC!!!) has meat chicks at the appropriate time, I might stick half a dozen meaties under her. My last meat birds were Pioneers aka Dixie Rainbows. They make a nice meat bird, not prone to the health issues of the CXR. And they also make a nice layer. I held one back, and she was my first pullet to lay that season, and contributed to the gene pool for several years. Only complaint with this breed: feather quality not the best.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We have chicken tractors, they're not perfect but they work. wasn't planning on doing meaties again but we've done them for years so meh, why not?

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have one small tractor 3 x 6 (hdw cloth) which needs to be rebuilt, and an other one that is 6 x 8 chicken wire. I don't trust either of them over night without electric around them.

I have some metal roofing that is just itching to be turned into a Woods style coop, or a tractor of sorts based on Woods design.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I don't know what Woods style is. Mine are modeled after Polyface Farms meat bird tractors. We sometimes put electric around them, if there's been a big predator presence. We haven't had many issues with them.