NH Homesteader's journal

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That's a lot of busy-ness to tend to. I feel your pain. After this round of kidding - if Cameo decides to ever drop her kids - I may need to make some revisions too.

Charlotte needs to get her fat butt into gear and make some babies! Is she showing any signs of teat/udder development? I never know what to call a pig's mammary glands, lol. First thing I notice on my girls will be that the teats just look a little more prominent/longer. I really hope Charlotte gets with it! I'd rather see her picture with babies instead of seeing her picture on a dinner plate!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I must be honest, DH has been doing chores and I haven't walked down to the pig pen for a few days lol. It's warmer today so I'll make my rounds again. I just check on my animals in the barn and let him deal with his when it's too cold/snowy! So I have no idea other than she looks round, I can see that much from the house!!

I like her but really, if she can't reliably produce babies... I only want one sow anyway so that makes her miss the cut in my book. We'll see what DH says about it.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Our friend gave us some bacon from one of his pigs, I just fried some up for corn chowder. It's good... except he has it cut SO thick it's ridiculous! I like thin crispy bacon. Ugh!

I need to find new recipes . Trying to eat healthier and I'm sick of eating the same things all the time. It's boring!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It's so easy to get stuck in a food rut. I have a tendency to go back to the tried and true when I'm trying to figure out what to cook. It IS boring, lol. But, I've been branching out into more low-carb stuff lately.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Got some recipes and a grocery list started for some new stuff!

I need smoothie recipes... I think there's a thread on that somewhere... hmm.

Got Pattys CDT. Tried to bolus her but she spit it out repeatedly. Couldn't move her because DH has a disaster in the kidding stall. So tomorrow we'll move her.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Good on getting the CDT done!

We definitely want to know any ideas for new recipes, lol. I branch occasionally and then always kind of fall back to the tried and true... boring...

p.s. Typed this up last night and must've gotten distracted because I didn't post it...geeze.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yeah, it's all stuff you guys can't eat, we're grain eaters lol!