NH Homesteader's journal

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Go Stanley! :hide I really meant - BAD Stanley!

Glad DD1 tested negative. We had DH tested too after he broke out in hives and turned bright red after eating a bunch of seafood one weekend. After about a year of thinking he had a shellfish allergy it turns out that he didn't. Might have been the iodine. He is allergic to the iodine that they use in lots of medical tests.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Since a lot of seafood is high in iodine (as is sea weed) your DH would be wise to avoid sea food, or partake in tiny portions. I am allergic to scallops, but can eat crabs, shrimp and lobster. B/C of my scallop allergy, I'll not touch a bivalve, nor will I eat escargot. (no great loss, as far as I'm concerned.) If I ever needed diagnostics that required IV contrast with Iodine, I'd be sure to alert the MD of my seafood issue.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
DH is an RN so he knows to practice moderation in his seafood consumption. :) Whenever he has medical tests requiring contrast - he is given IV Benadryl and it controls the reaction. I'm so glad I have no issues with seafood or iodine, lol. Nothing I love more than seafood of all kinds!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The person we got our pigs from allowed more... pushy behavior than I allow. So when we raise ourselves a replacement boar I think he'll be less feisty lol. But he's very sweet and respectful, I just like my pigs to be a little less in your face! Charlotte will knock you over rubbing on your boots and flopping on your feet. She's a doll. A pushy one!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ordered some electronet for the goats and sheep today. We'll see how that works this summer! Won't be getting my doeling until probably August, which is actually good timing for us, other than weaning in parasite season that is.

This weekend we have to tackle a sheep and trim her a bit, and figure out what the heck to do with Charlotte for farrowing. Oh, and I need to get DH moving on getting a lumber list for the hives. And we need to get our sugaring supplies together before it gets warm and we miss out!

We're postponing buying a hydro set up because both our vehicles need work. I need some suspension work on mine, it's awful bouncy on our cruddy almost spring roads!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Just got a propane delivery, and our daily usage has gone down. The weather hasn't changed too much, but even accounting for weather we've spent a lot less this month, since they added a ton of insulation to the attic. Much more manageable amount now! And spring is coming!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You need a freeze! Kill some parasites! No warming up in our forecast , unfortunately. But winter can't last forever. Right? I hope, lol

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We really do need a good hard freeze, as much as I don't want it. We've had two light freezes with barely a light skim of freeze on water buckets. The forecast is for Houston to freeze, we're a good bit south so not sure if we'll actually get it or not. But, yes - parasites need to disappear!