NH Homesteader's journal

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Sorry it loaded a bajillion times. I'm having phone issues.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I think I have a broody chicken. She sat in the nest and yelled at me... I suppose we shall see how long she sits there. Would be cool to have babies I didn't have to incubate and brood. I've never had a good broody hen before. This one is a Dominique and 3 years old. Perfect.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That would be cool. I've had couple broodies this year, but they're stupid. They don't remember which nest to go back to half the time, lol. I'm ok with it - I've got too many chickens as it is!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Lol! It remains to be seen how smart she is! My husband and I are sick of incubators and brooders... We want the hens to take over. My husband had chickens as a kid, his hens did the work for him. He never did all this. I like that better!

Lol I know I sound like a complainer today. I don't mean to. I just want to, as they say, work smarter not harder?

My FIL sent me a check for my birthday. I immediately mobile deposited it and sent a check to put towards the money I owe on my buckling. This is my gift to myself, all I want is a goat! Lol!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It is! But I don't have a pen set up for him and my wether yet, so it's also kinda nice to have some time! I found two BEAUTIFUL full size alpines for sale for cheap yesterday near me.... But I do NOT need more goats right now! They have to go together. I would have tried if I could only take one, but taking on two full size goats right now is not a good plan! I also have mini secure fencing, not full size secure fencing.

The three turkeys are eating and drinking really well. #1 and #3 look great! #2 has issues, but he's eating fine. His spine is curved so he can't pick his head up straight.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Uh-oh, poor baby! Hopefully he was just cramped up in that egg and might straighten out? One time I did physical therapy on a baby chicken that had a leg issue. Probably about 5 or 6 times a day I'd get her out of the brooder and hold her up and help her walk for a few minutes to strengthen her legs. It worked and she ended up moving outside with the rest of the bunch - and then a few days later she disappeared! :( Just wasn't meant to be I guess... Hope it comes around for you!