NH Homesteader's journal

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Square bales at the feed store here got for $12. :tongue Congrats on getting your girl back, I am very happy for you.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I bought square bales out of the field for $6.00 last year and thought it was a bit high - but it was from the high school ag group so I don't mind supporting them a bit. Years ago we could get it out of the field for $1.00 a bale...after a couple decades $4.00 a bale from the field was considered a good price.

I paid $20.50 for a bale of alfalfa a few weeks ago....

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Normal here is $4/bale in the field, $5-6 in the barn.

I forgot to ask if she got her CDT shot this year. Will it be ok to give her another one? Hopefully not bad, although maybe redundant...

Can't get alfalfa here really... but that sounds expensive!!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It won't hurt her to give an extra CDT. :)

Alfalfa is crazy expensive so I don't use it often...or generously, lol!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I use alfalfa pellets sometimes. They're not cheap either! And thanks, I didn't think it would be an issue!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
DH is supposed to come home early today. Good thing, we have to weigh goats, give shots, give meds... might snow a bit tonight. Ughh!

Ran errands half the day today, fun... groceries are shockingly expensive. Every time I go shopping... I'm surprised lol. I'm also having lots of food aversions (including all meat, yuck) so that doesn't help. Good thing is I'm craving fruits and veggies!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm avoiding the grocery store like the plague, lol. Determined to make a dent in our 'stuff' before going back for anything that isn't absolutely necessary. I've got to get the pigs put in the freezer - no room for anything else!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Lol! I don't buy meat at the store. I realized half my grocery budget goes to dairy. Back to milking next year, and hopefully more self sufficiency will follow. Also didn't do much of a garden last year. Must get on that this year!