NH Homesteader's journal

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Or nothing is going to get done if my husband doesn't get moving. This random guy came here and asked if he can have the wood from a pine tree we cut down. DH said sure. He needs it, we don't. Guy is broke and no firewood, whatever. Except instead of letting him and the friend he brought load it up, he's out there helping them. He works 5 days a week. He does not have time to deal with other people's problems. We have our own things that need to get done. I'm sick of it, every weekend someone else needs something done and what we need done never gets accomplished, which means we're always behind and never get to relax and hang out. Pregnancy hormones aren't helping my mood right now but this is ridiculous. Ughhh!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh boy.... sometimes people are just too nice! My ex used to do that. The only way I'd get around it would be to start our project myself...he never though I could do it right so he'd stop what he was doing and come help me, lol. Doesn't work with this one though - he'll sit back and watch me work....

Hope he'll come around to your way of thinking!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I can't physically do this job by myself in my current state or I would! I like that he's helpful and all, but sometimes WE need help!

Also I thought I killed the buckling yesterday. Seriously... I was trying to deal with meds and such for him and Lilly (between the two of them, CDT, ivermectin, copper bolus and probiotics) and DD1 was talking incessantly in my ear and I handed DH the ivermectin bottle instead of the CDT bottle and told him to give the buckling 2cc subq... he's only 21 lbs. Apparently it takes more than that to OD on ivermectin cause he's fine.

Oh, FEM, have you ever used Replamin gel? Or do you have any other suggestions for zinc deficiency? Lilly has had intermittent problems with hair loss around her eyes and I'm pretty sure it's zinc related.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Or nothing is going to get done if my husband doesn't get moving. This random guy came here and asked if he can have the wood from a pine tree we cut down. DH said sure. He needs it, we don't. Guy is broke and no firewood, whatever. Except instead of letting him and the friend he brought load it up, he's out there helping them. He works 5 days a week. He does not have time to deal with other people's problems. We have our own things that need to get done. I'm sick of it, every weekend someone else needs something done and what we need done never gets accomplished, which means we're always behind and never get to relax and hang out. Pregnancy hormones aren't helping my mood right now but this is ridiculous. Ughhh!

Sounds like your hubby's primary love languages are acts of service and words of affirmation. For a good read, check out "The Five Love Languages" by Gary Chapman. This book gives good insight into what makes us tick. And it's helpful for establishing good communication and relationships.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
No, not really. He's a touchy feely person. I'm not. At all. Lol .

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I once overdosed a doeling on almost a whole tube of Ivermectin horse paste...the little wheel didn't lock down where it was supposed to and it didn't stop where it was supposed to. She never acted like it slowed her down at all, lol.

I used Replamin a few years back and just never kept up with it like I should. Now - I'm using it again and because I'm being more on top of it - I think it's making a difference in my girls. It's good stuff.

I've been cutting up pig all morning and I'm really tired of looking at dead pig, lol. I'm going to take a little break and then get back to it later. I'm probably 2/3's done - thank goodness. This has been enough to convince me to do them small! One of these guys was pushing 300 lbs (at least) according to the neighbor.

DH is doing his first stint as a volunteer at the Train Museum. He's as excited as a kid in a candy shop, lol. At least he was this morning - but standing outside taking tickets might have taken some of his enthusiasm!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh I hope he's having fun! Lol

Ohh duh you were talking about it recently too, pregnancy brain... sorry lol. How often do you use it? And I just bolused Lilly, can I use it or should I wait?

Apparently ivermectin isn't easy to OD on, good to know! Lol

We like to butcher around 150, so much easier to manage. Happy butchering!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
How often do you use it?
Somewhere I read to do it like three days in a row and then go to once a week. It seems I can't do anything three days in a row. But, I think I did it two days in a row and then started the once a week timing. So far I've done it for two weeks in a row so we'll see if I can keep it up.

I'll NEVER do another pig this big...if they need done...they'll go to the processor! The ones that I did a couple weeks ago were just the right size for me... I think they were probably 100lbs-ish? I'm terrible at estimating weights. I need a pig weight tape!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We don't do them over 250 (our AGH are small bones, that'll never be an issue again lol, but when we had full size pigs we watched them). Just use a string, tape measure, and calculate it. I think it's 2x girth x length ÷400 or something... I have it saved on my phone somewhere but you can Google it anyway. AGH folks say it's a tiny bit off for AGH but a decent enough estimate.

I'm going to order some. That's not bad, I saw it on Jeffers and it wasn't crazy expensive. I think her zinc deficiency is more evident because she hasn't been on grain. She had access to minerals but I don't think goats do well in New England winters without some grain!