NH Homesteader's journal

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yay for open windows. It's about time...hope your nice days come more and more often.

Ewwww for ticks. We don't have a big problem with them - thank goodness. I've never seen one on the dogs but years back (pre-AGH's) we butchered a pig that had a couple on him...:sick At least we don't seem to have a problem with tick borne diseases.

Enjoy your beautiful weather today!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It hit 74 today! Eek! It was amazing. I got a sunburn on my shoulders because they haven't seen the sun in MONTHS! The kids played outside and I got nothing accomplished except going to TSC to buy dog food and mineral feeders. It took DH pretty much all day to go get his "new " truck.

So tomorrow we'll move Lucky, put up the new mineral feeders, shuffle some chickens... and he needs to clean the fish tank. Back to normal, 50's tomorrow. And rain. But today was a beauty!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Sounds like a wonderful day! If a bit unproductive, but that's what tomorrow is for :)

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It hit 74 today! Eek! It was amazing. I got a sunburn on my shoulders because they haven't seen the sun in MONTHS! The kids played outside and I got nothing accomplished except going to TSC
That's what beautiful days are made for - playing with the kids and getting a little too much sun, lol! Sounds like it was a wonderful time. Hope you get more and more of those days!

Hope Lucky behaves himself and doesn't stress too much when he gets moved.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh he's a crier. I have no doubt it'll be obnoxious lol!

I have Replamin gel and Cylence coming this week. The ticks are coming out, ugh! What's the dosage for Replamin? Or is it on the tube?

There are so many pretty goats for sale right now. I'm restraining myself lol. I need a nigerian buck and a shetland ram. And I told DH he needs to hold me to only buying those two things for the next several years. With Lucky and a Nigerian buck I can keep enough kids to have some good Nigerian and mini alpine (heavy on the nigerian genes) does for a while to come. Restraint! And I'll keep any ewe lambs I have, I'm aiming for keeping 5 ewes or so I think. I can't keep more than that until we clear some brush and make some grass happen!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Got the mineral feeder replaced in the goat pen, the temporary weaning pen is almost done, and I got the mineral feeder up in there. Next is the mineral feeder for the sheep, and we stole their house for the weaning pen so we have to move the bigger house over for them, which will be quick. Then I'm really hoping to move some chickens. And the neighbor dropped off his tractor so DH can work on the driveway. I wish he picked a day with less to do but I appreciate it anyway lol.

Next weekend we really need to move pig fences around and that will not be very fun.

I'm not saying I'm going to stick to it if a really good offer pops up, lol. But I'm going to try! I really need to put my energy into gardening the next few years. And our farm money into bees and maybe a little greenhouse.

Always something!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Got the sheep house set up, moved Lucky to his pen. He's not as loud as I thought he'd be (yet).

Then we set up a pen for Charlotte and her piglets. They had been in the barn too long! They're very happy little things. The sheep were trying to check them out through the fence and Charlotte was NOT impressed, lol.

Guess the chickens have to wait to be shuffled. Pigs stole their time slot today lol.

And it's raining. Yay for more mud.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'll bet Charlotte and babies enjoyed getting out. I love it when the babies are happy and run and play- so cute!

Boo for rain... grrrr.