NH Homesteader's journal

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Be careful with that rooster. I kept telling everyone to watch mine and not let the little kids around it. My daughter put her toddler son right down beside it and it jumped him. Spurring his face. I got mad at my daughter but put the bird down because I didn't want it to hurt anyone else. He had a scratch down the whole side of his face about an inch from his eye. It healed quickly without a scar but I will never give another mean rooster more chances. From now on it's a one strike rule.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My husband wants to put him and a hen or two in a breeding pen and keep him. I suggested getting rid of him and collecting eggs this week to incubate and we'll keep a roo from his offspring. We'll see what we go with...

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hmmmm, I think a "hawk" might have to carry him off!! You could collect eggs for quite awhile...I've gone up to two weeks and still had great hatches from roosters that passed...

What kind of rooster is he?

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I read it's up to a month!

He is a Dominique. The breeder I got him from no longer breeds and I would have to travel 2 hours to get a replacement non-hatchery line, if I cared to do so. He's gorgeous. My husband and I have different goals for our birds. That is quite evident at the moment, lol.

The good thing about him is he is kind to the hens. He's protective and never over breeds, etc.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Sorry about the chick. Yep, they'll credit you. As to the roo, you may have to appease DH & pen him --- for a while.;)

You all can be jealous -- Had Sun-Tue off, liked it so much I extended it thru today. :cool: Cut about 4 acres of junk in some fields, did some fence repairs, put up about 150' of new fence...I pounded posts, used the backhoe to pull it tight, hooked it to those T-posts, added a post for the gate, will hang when crete dries -- already have pins in to hang gate. Also reworked a hot wired field, upped a solar box for it, new graze for mares. I swear it will take them a week to eat it down so I can mow it!! It wintered over and had added vetch seed in Fall which is growing well & Bermuda & Orchard doing well.

Been riding my tractor a LOT. It is so great to move stuff, lift, push, etc. My best friend! I put a board at end of fence, hook it to pull fence, then use the back hoe for pull. It is so neat because I can raise/lower as needed, push back & forth, adjust top & bottom separately, then pull to the side -- all standing on the ground because I can reach the controls. I swear, it's a good thing to have. Don't have to move the tractor around, just the arm on the hoe. :clap NO backtalk either.....holds it as long as I need. Makes fencing a lot more fun. Now, if it could just hammer that pole banger thing! It's faster for me to do that.

FEM, you'll appreciate the "new fenced area" which divides a smaller field so that the goats can go in & eat without getting into the chicken coops! So, I can keep hens from coming out of their side if I want. Not a forever thing but, helps move animals between several fields -- can be a catch pen, s divide & separate pen, or a temp area while I do chores that do not need "their" help or escape. Well, forever until I move it. :lol: It's a highly fertile area, thick (!!) grass.

OH -- my 2 hens sharing a cache of eggs. Have now hatched 5 chicks & 11 eggs still there. It appears one hen is the main chick caregiver & other is prime setter -- although they both do both. Apparently the eggs are still talking to them as they are talking to the eggs, moving them & setting diligently. :idunno I know one hen sat, then others added eggs, then #2 butted in (several were her eggs, green). Who knows! They are in a barn stall. And my other hen in her broody hutch is on day 20 today. More soon? :love

Have to actually go to work tomorrow :( But 4 more days off next week. 10 bucklings to auction on Sat 13th. Yahoo. They do look good!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Wow - you've been busy! I wish I had a backhoe for my tractor. I can see where it would make a lot of jobs so much easier! There's only one thing I hate about my tractor - changing implements. Putting they hay forks on and off isn't hard, but the mower is a witch (with a B). I can only imagine a backhoe attachment would be a PIA!

Congrats on the broodies and the chicks. I've had a couple hens do the same. Hatched out about 5 chicks but Cowboy couldn't tell the difference between chicks and mice and he took care of 'em. I wondered what happened and happened to catch him in the act. We had a 'discussion' and he understands now. The last chick left is still around and almost all feathered out now.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Actually, the backhoe is much easier to off/on than the darned bushhog!!!! I hate the though of that one. I can do the grader, disc, etc., but....the hog is next to impossible for me to get the PTO hooked. It's like the sleeve & such won't push in. Well, enough muscle and it does. Plus, you have to hold that damned "button" in while you push. Even my son cusses it. I can hook all the rest of it. I'd buy a new one if it were a CERTAIN better hook up, so far not. I'm thinking I will buy some type of clamp to hold the pin in while I shove the PTO fitting. I'll wrangle it one more time next week....then, cooperate or it's gone. :p

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Agree! My 250+ lb son does it and looks at me like I'm a complete wuss. When DH and I can get it accomplished it's because one of us has a punch or pliers or something holding that stupid pin in while the other pushes the sleeve on...its a royal PIA! I don't think I could ever do it by myself...ugh.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Aww Cowboy, glad he's got that straight now! Lol

My hen was sitting in a different nest box yesterday. She is quite confused evidently! We'll see where I find her today!

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have made pets of my roosters and I have left them alone. The ones I made pets of was the ones that turned mean. I believe they had no fear of humans. The ones I handle little were leery and stayed clear. I would chase around the roosters that seemed to bold. Even the mean ones stayed away from me although they would still go after my husband and the Wildbunch. Keeping him penned up is probably a good solution because they can be dangerous. A man that my daughter knows was blinded in one eye from one. Chicks aren't worth the price of real injury. I kicked myself for not penning up mine before it jumped on my grandson.