NH Homesteader's journal

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I do not make pets of any of my birds, really. Certainly not roosters. And we chase him around with a stick every single day. He does not care, he simply waits until we aren't looking and goes after us. He was ok until he turned 3 this spring. He doesn't fly up at faces, he goes after your legs.

I don't really want to pen him because I won't leave any animal alone which means I have to pick some hens to put in there with him and that's not fair, they love free ranging.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
@Beekissed wrote something wonderful about handling roosters. Unfortunately I cannot remember where I read it though. But I remember she had some great techniques for sorting the buggers out and keeping them in their place.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thanks, I've read it! And we do it! Every day... He's particularly stubborn. Dominique roosters are known for being aggressive about protecting their hens, apparently he thinks they need protecting from us. DH insists he wants to keep him so he's going in a pen with a couple of our NH hens. ASAP, if I have any say!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
DH forgot some tools so he came home to get them and I told him the rooster needs a time out or a permanent time out in the freezer. So he's putting him in the old meat turkey run until he gets home later.

My broody hen is sitting in a fourth spot this morning. She's very dedicated to... Something. But she's not sure what apparently. Sigh.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Glad the roo is going to be in an area where he can't threaten/injure anyone anymore!

Silly broody - sometimes mine forget where they're supposed to be too!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
0504171131.jpg
Rooster time out

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Breed him, hatch out some sons, and send him swimming in some dumplings!! He is purty...putty tasty :D

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hey! I have a broody, and she's even in the same nest box for a second day in a row! DH stuffed a bunch of eggs under her.

Manor wind storm happening. We have a big shelter logic 12x20 garage in a box (thankfully empty) we just set up a few days ago. Yeah... It flew across the yard... We saved it but there are some holes in it. NOT impressed! It was pretty scary trying to hold it down while DH staked it down. Phew!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh nooooooo - you can't let your new storage garage get away! If it's anything like those bouncy houses that blow away - that can be scary/dangerous! Glad you got it staked down now.