NH Homesteader's journal

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
When my 2 kids were little, I babysat other kids for working moms. I usually had 5-6 kids, including mine. I'd load them up in the surburban, go do my grocery shopping, post office, whatever I needed to do. Their moms were fine with it. They all behaved, because they got a treat when we got home if everyone was good. One time I had several dropins, so I had 8 kids from 3 weeks to age 7. I went to Walmart pushing a buggy of kids, pulling a buggy of kids and the two oldest walked, holding on to the buggy. I got a lot of funny looks from people and some were actually counting the kids.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It wasn't any harder having a bunch of kids than just my two. My kids had someone to play with, I kept activities going, we had fun. One day it was pouring rain, I had a houseful of kids, so I took them on a picnic. We made sandwiches, packed them in paper bags, then hiked all over the house looking out the windows at imaginary deer, raccoons, and birds. Then I spread a sheet over the "grass" in the kitchen and we had our picnic. Those kids had a blast.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Not much interesting happening here... it's winter, I'm cold. I hate it. Lol so nothing new!

With having a new baby and DH working nonstop, I've slipped on the budget and we're not so SS at the moment. We're spending $ to make $ it seems like, and are both hating that. So I'm revisiting the budget, DH works less hours now but we'd love if he could work for himself, part time helping a carpenter friend, part time mechanic work... we'll see, but we'd like a dramatic change if we can swing it.

DH is turning my barn into a garage/shop. My 4 little wooly sheep really don't need a whole building! He's beyond thrilled. My sheep won't be, lol, but he'll build them something nearly as comfortable!

Have a few more pigs to butcher when DH has the time, preferably before our sow farrows in March.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I visit the "can we make it happen' more frequently of late. At least it's only ME to consider, so a little easier. I's a little scary because of "what if's". At this point n life, I have only me if any assistance is needed....at least you two are young enough to have family if help was required.

Would DH give up the 2 yr training you mentioned, to work from home?

I just could NOT live with the cold & snow you all have. VA is quite nice.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
VA lost my support when they went after the 2nd amendment! Otherwise it was on our short list!

Last edited:

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That's just not a good situation to be in at work even if he had full the benefits! Your DH is talented and I'd be willing to bet ya'll can figure out how to make it work if he changes jobs. Grocery budget - yikes. Nothing is getting any cheaper - that's for sure.

Latest posts