Ninja Cooking Skills

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I thought it would be helpful for our talented cooks to give the less blessed helpful tips that we have known through our many years of experience. I thought of this while whipping up eggs to scramble.

*Poke the yolks with a fork before beating. When making cakes, cornbread I break the yolk and beat into the liquids, water, milk, oil, etc.*

*Keep a list of substitutions taped to the inside of a kitchen cabinet door.*

Okay Ninja Cooks your turn go, go, go...

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
If you have a recipe calling for buttermilk, but you don't have any, measure out some sweet milk, add a tablespoon of vinegar. Let it set a few minutes, stir it and substitute it for the buttermilk.

You must use baking soda with sour milk.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
For the days you work outside all day (like in the garden) and when you come in and don't want to cook a big meal......make bacon grilled cheese sandwiches. Or cook a LOT the day before so you can have leftovers.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Your crockpot is your friend! And, I use my toaster oven as much as possible instead of firing up the big oven.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Cooking bacon for a crowd? Cook it in the oven. I lay it on a rack over a roasting pan and cook at 375ish until it gets crispy. No need to stand over the stove and flip the bacon.

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
That is some super Ninja skills! Yeah, let's keep it going.

Prepare all you can on the weekend. Cut up all your produce for instance when you bring it in the house (from garden or store) and package.

Grill a big mess of meat e.g. chicken breast and you can slice the leftovers for salads.

Leftovers are great. Left over fried potatoes make a great frittata for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Leftover mashed potatoes for potato salad, shepherd pie, potato cakes or even in your yeast bread. Leftover chili makes a tamale pie, Cincinnati chili (chili with spaghetti), chili dogs, chili fries, chili burgers, added to rice for burrito stuffing.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Instead of using a pastry cutter to work butter into flour, freeze the butter for a bit then grate it. It's much less work and gets it more even.

A small splash of oil put in the boiling water before adding the pasta will break the starchy bubbles and prevent boil over. I've always drained with a lid or a pot strainer (not a colander) so pretty much no oil is left to interfere with sauce. Laying a wooden spoon across the top of the pot also helps.

Stir your pasta right after you put it in to separate and prevent sticking. Adding the oil to the top of the water does not help with this.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I like that, grating the butter!

I am not a ninja chef. I'll enjoy reading this though!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Grating the butter?! That's genius! I might try making a pie crust again with that tip!

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Grated butter is good if you need some for supper and forgot to leave it out to soften. I'm loving all these ideas.

Latest posts