No more stove!!

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
I was making cinnamon rolls for breakfast this morning, and DH and I kept smelling something just AWFUL! We were smelling everywhere, thinking the wood burner was getting too hot and melting something...nope...but walk into the kitchen and OMG just about passed out!

Immediately I turned off the oven and removed the cinnamon rolls. DH shuts off the power to the stove via breaker box and we pull the stove out to look behind it.

OMG A FREAKING PACK RAT!!!!!!!!!!

You name it, it was back there! And it made the space behind the wall and my stove it's personal toilet. I was livid!

DH opens the drawer to the oven, which I never use, you know, the drawer you store pans in. The rat has been LIVING there!! It had all kinds of crap stuffed in there, right down to milk jug lids and the pacifier I had just washed 2 days ago and was tearing the house apart looking for it.

DH further investigates and finds that the rat has stuffed stuff UNDER the plate UNDER my stove burners! :th The whole stove, JUNK, thanks to one rat. So DH goes to remove the piggytail, this rat chewed BOTH hot wires :ep So even the plug is junk!!

Looks like I am going to be getting a stove for Christmas?? I hope...

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
OK, so I guess I am not the only one to have this problem..

The question is do yo have the burnt rat smell. It takes forever to go away. I had the same problem in a stove/oven except while trying to investigate the smell. My husband pulled it away from the wall and tipped it back. A burning smoking rat ran out jumped over my foot and took off through he house. Yes it was literally smoking and all.

We actually could not afford a new one at the time. So my husband took it apart, the insulation around the oven had little homes built into it. My DH replaced all insulation and we cleaned the whole thing very well. Worked fine after that.

Good luck, g:D

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
QA - How awful. One rat can do a lot of damage in a very short period of time. We have a problem with squirrels. Sorry for all your troubles this morning. And to think all you wanted to do was make cinnamon rolls.

Great news on the new stove though. Sure am glad its not me having to go buy one. I love my old gas stove. I won't give it up until the last minute.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Ewwwww! Poor Quail, that is a nasty start to your day!

I hope you get rid of the smell quickly!

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Oh wow, that is pretty bad. :p I hope it won't put you off cinnamon rolls for any length of time. :/ I just looooove cinnamon rolls.

Not sure what else to say, execept according to the Chinese calendar it IS the year of the rat. :p We have had our own trials this year with those pesky rodents, but nothing quite so disturbing.

I'm glad you didn't accidentally burn the house down because of those chewed wires!

poppycat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ewwwwwww! Oh my goodness I don't know what I would do if I found that in my kitchen. ( I do wonder what was going through his little rat brain when he hauled off the pacifier though.)

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
It wasn't just a burned rat smell! It was more like month old kitty box needs cleaned smell, and we JUST got a inside cat and I was like No way the box smells that bad already?? So I actually cleaned the litter box, just incase, but the litterbox is no where near the kitchen....lol

Awful amonia smell.

I should say new used stove LOL we can't afford a new one, so we are on the hunt for a decent used one. :)

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
Quail,

sorry about your stove. Dang varmits :somad

A couple of years ago, we had a problem with huge rats living in our crawl space. They never made it up into the house, though. DH set some traps and took care of them pretty quickly.

And once we had a mice problem in the house. I used to keep bird seed in the utility room. One day I took DH's shoe off the top shelf of our closet in the bedroom and it was packed full of seed. :ep
We ran out right then and bought lots of poison. A couple of weeks later, problem was solved. And, I moved the bird seed to the garage. :rolleyes:

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
Rat poison would work, I think, except the ferrets might find it and I don't want to expire them! :p

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
Rat poison would work, I think, except the ferrets might find it and I don't want to expire them! :p
If you put your ferrets up at night, put the poison out then. That's usually when they come out anyway. You would just have to make absolutely sure you put it away every morning.