No Superstore Challenge

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Pretty much! It works out great for them. Our bordering states, VT and MA have sales tax and we do not. So they put liquor stores on the highway just on our side of the border. Busy places!

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Liquor laws are funny. You can't buy liquor on Sundays in Arkansas unless it's in a restaurant by the glass (?). When I lived in Louisiana there was a liquor store with a drive through window that advertised mixed drinks to go but I never went there. I still can't believe it. When I lived in Florida they would give samples of booze away in liquor stores and grocery stores.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
You guys are hysterical!! :gig

I am noticing that when I started this thread I was having difficulty avoiding superstores. I went into Walmart this past week, I wasn't happy with their selection and I left without buying anything. Woot! It's getting easier to say "no".

I went to Kohls, Shopko, and Payless Shoes on the same day. Didn't buy anything. Left those stores with a plan to make my own winter boots somehow.

WINNING!

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
When I was a kid Mama take us shopping and we hardly ever bought anything. She called it window shopping. I'd rather stay home than do any kind of shopping. If I do go it's for groceries or I try the resell shops in town. Also, once a month there is what they call First Saturday Trade Days. It's fun and you can find about anything there if you look. Many locals with yard sale type stuff, homemade tamales, egg rolls, bake sale goods, jellies, live chickens, ducks, dogs, cats, farm fresh eggs.

This month we got apples, sweet potatoes, eggs, a pumpkin pie, tamales and probably more stuff I can't remember. Visited with lots of local people. I never know what or if I will get anything. One time it was a $20 carpet cleaner another jeans for the Wildbunch or heavy denim coveralls for DH. I'm think about next month trying to sell pumpkin rolls.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I like Trade Days too. Most of the time it's just fun to walk around and see what others have and get ideas. We found a guy making art out of used license plates....so we (meaning DH) picked up one in the shape of a longhorn head and hung it on our backyard fence. Because it's reflective, if a light hits it at night it looks really cool!

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
When I lived in the city and then the burbs, I used to love walking around the neighborhood on trash days...amazing the good things people throw out, and the nicer the neighborhood, the nicer the trash. Since moving to a rural area over 2 decades ago, I don't have that, but there are yards sales.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I think the idea of trade days is great!! Often people have a few things to dispose and they don't want a yard sale day...many live where no traffic to support. A once a month "thing" would be a good deal with an established site.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We live 20 minutes from the largest flea market in America. First Monday in Canton, Texas covers over 100 acres. There are outdoor booths and many pavilions containing permanent booths. My sister comes up a few times a year with her best friend and we rent the electric scooters for the day and cruise through in style. LOL There are two locations in town for the trade days, one is the original site and the one with all the nice pavilions is the newer site.

http://firstmondaycanton.com/first-monday-trade-days

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Monday_Trade_Days

We also live 9 miles from Highway 80. Twice a year, there is a 5 state Hi-Way sale. I haven't gone yet, but I plan on going to the next one.

http://fleamarket.about.com/od/highwayyardsales/p/Historic-U-S-80-Hi-Way-Sale.htm