Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I don't like liver. Elk is the only one I can choke down ok. Hubby loves it so he gets it cooked up for him. I usually get oysters to cook for me that night as he doesn't like them.

I have no problems with heart. Mom gave me a beef one last month so I can try a stuff heart recipe from one of my books.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Haggis uses lung is only reason I asked. Why it cant be sold in US because of some weird decision that lung is bad.

I need to go find my book on offal recipes. Just wish I remembered where I put it.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I tried the Americanized version once at the Scottish Highland festival.. probably won’t ever try the real version🤢 sorry to my ancestors 🤣

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Haggis uses lung is only reason I asked. Why it cant be sold in US because of some weird decision that lung is bad.

I need to go find my book on offal recipes. Just wish I remembered where I put it.
I believe lung was banned due to concerns about tuberculosis.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Looked it up. It says risk of gastrointestinal fluids leaking into them during slaughter process raising risk of food-borne illness.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I'd try the liver....I like calf or beef but, pork has a texture issue for me. I'd try lamb. Not opposed to tongue to try, never had any except squirrel. Barely a comparison. :lol:

for pork liver you can try making a dry braunschwieger recipe, our local brand sausage producer has a great braunschwieger that i can eat and the texture is more dry than slimy. that's the only way i like it (i think they use more pork meat and dry milk solids in it to give it that texture). i've found others at the store and tried many of them but i haven't found any comparable or what i consider edible.

as a funny aside, i find the phrase "Nose to tail eating" brings to mind other images than what is likely intended...

we've never much been into organ meats here as we don't raise our own animals or slaughter. liver was something my Dad would have Mom make when i was a kid, and i'd eat a few bites of it because it was ok, but it's not my favorite food and i'm very picky about it. smothered in fried onions and it has to not be overcooked or gristly. not worth for me to cook since about three bites is my limit.

many years ago i made the mistake of trying to make a liver soup which was rather horrid and i never would make that mistake again. tomatoes and liver is just not a good combination of flavors. no matter what i tried to add to it to make it edible didn't improve it so i ended up with this big pot of food that i had to throw out. i have this thing about not ever wasting food if i can help it - this was my prime example of something i'd not even feed to the dogs or the worms. it was that bad. oh, and to make it even worse i burned some of it on the bottom of the pan. lol

Last edited: