Not Happy with SS?

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
What do you NOT LIKE about SS lifestyle?

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I’m having the time of my life. I love all of it. Mud, poop, dirt, sunshine, heat, cold, rain, no rain. And right now, one of our rare snows, unmarried by city traffic and noise. I love having the animals and a big garden. We get lots of exercise and eat good. We are healthy and happy. What’s not to like?

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
DH wants vacations, but I dont really enjoy them. What do we do? Drive somewhere beautiful, enjoy nature, do nothing for a couple hours per day. I can do that a little bit every day from home. DH needs to get away to be able to relax, but vacations are very stressful for me (physically) and tend to make me sick.

Sheep are easy keepers for vacation in summer. Our pasture is ample. We have someone check water troughs every few days. Same for my chickens, just make sure the water doesnt get knocked over or some freak accident like that.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I feel like I'm living my dream also. I've always wanted to raise food, have productive animals and be a country bumpkin, lol. Vacations are hard and we don't take them often. But we can easily slip away for a night or two by utilizing auto waterers and feeders (in some instances). Goats/horses can do with a round bale in cold weather or just enjoy self-feeding in the pasture. They may not love it - but they certainly won't be harmed by it.

And, this lifestyle helps me get some steps in every day, lol. Not as much right now as other times of year, but it's better than nothing.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I love SS living but, some days I admit I don't always want to do some things. Yeah, procrastination. Things like mucking out a big run in shed....ok, it can wait a day or three, that sort of thing. Generally when I get into a "mood" I find a day of something different, better if fun, takes care of it and the tiny vacay resets me.

The daily is ok and it's the projects that can be annoying. The weather plays a part. Also the fact that I live alone makes for some lack of enthusiasm at times. I mean, the excitement of your first ripe tomato for the year needs to be told to more than a chicken -- who might eat it before you can! :lol:

I muddle along. Always wanted a farm and all that goes with it. This is my third one, first one as a loner, and after 20 years, mostly complete. I'm happy with the location, neighbors and am working at "refining" my efforts. I'm semi retired.....😁😁....deciding if that's ok.

Lot of OLD threads popping up lately.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
. having a homestead and skills is better than money in the bank.
Amen! Especially if you use those skills. Food is pretty essential....you have certainly learned and used. Feels good doesn't it? :love no one can take those skills from you.

Last edited:

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
another part too is being a willing teacher to others if they'd like to learn. :)
I enjoy this part too. There's so much still to learn, but so much to pass on also. I am working on developing curriculum for 4-H Houseplant Project and 4-H Dog Project. When I get those set, my next plan is 4-H Food Preservation Project. DS14 has already canned and dehydrated a few entries for 2022 fair.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Amen! Especially if you use those skills. Food is pretty essential....you have certainly learned and used. Feels good doesn't it? :love no one can take those skills from you.

another part too is being a willing teacher to others if they'd like to learn. :)