Not Happy with SS?

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Ugh, vacations.....we are really wanting goats too and if we get them then vacations are a thing of the past. I am perfectly content to stay home but my family is 2 1/2 hrs away and my brother is 6-8 hours away (atlanta traffic, you never know what it will be like) and DH's mom is 5-6 hrs away but wants to move in our backyard if we would let her!

My parents are giving me grief about not coming to see them but I would have to take the kids and leave my husband here to take care of the animals or vice versa. They are so busy with church responsibilities that they can't (or won't--my mom is one of those that can't say no) come up here to see us.

My family doesn't understand why we would want to do all this but to each his own, right? I'm just happy that I have found a community of people here on SS that I can relate to!!! :D

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Again on the plus side of it all.

I often would like nothing more on "vacation" days than to sit in the middle of my garden in the sun and watch the hens scratch. Who needs a trip to the continent?!

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
It's a lotta work. Some times of the year (like now) I would rather lie around, sipping hot cocoa and reading books, but instead I need to make up time on all the projects that have been ignored for the past 5 months :)
:frow That is exactly how I feel right now too.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Iceblink said:
I love traveling, and finding a farm sitter has proved impossible. Never mind one who will come milk twice a day.
You know . . . that makes me wonder if people who want to farm, but don't have one of their own, should maybe think about working part-time as farm sitters? Wouldn't it be nice to be able to call someone that you know has experience and that other farmers recommend? Or maybe even if you did have your own farm . . . it would still be a good side business? Just a thought.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I think you all are taking a hard line on the whole Sufficient Self idea.

It is because we ALL tend to strive to be truly Self sufficient. We have those goals set WAY WAY up there. The fact is human beings are dependent on other human beings. We are now, we always have been and ALWAYS will be. That should be obvious to even the most hard core of us that play on here. Some of the reason we DO meet here is for support, help on our goals and friendship. May we never be so self sufficient that we no longer need or want those things. Almost Self sufficient is as good as it will ever get.

Our goals ... Let me back that up ... MY goal - is to be self sufficient enough to take care of my family and close friends if I ever needed to. I want to be able to provide food and clothing, shelter and supplies enough to keep body and soul together. I want to be part of the process. Know the animals I eat and husband the seed till it reaches my plate. I want some marketable skills ( In my case soap making and preserving ) that I could use in a barter situation. But I will always be dependent on other people to some degree. I am sure as I age and my body falls apart it will be make me more and more dependent as well.

So take it easy on yourselves. Most people these days don't have enough stored food in their homes to last more than a week, have no idea how to cook without a microwave and can't imagine living without cable TV and a couple of cell phones. How are you coming along based on that "norm"?

Besides that we need to realize that the one great thing about living the way we do is the simple joy. Watching the hens. Lining up those jars full of jam. Tasting a fresh berry. Plucking that tomato. That kind of happiness is "sufficient" for me.