Note to self. Never talk to a farmer about grass feeding

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
well, not all farmers

Barb's dairy is run with feed to capitalize on full production for milk...all fed in rations for best performance

BUT due to high feed costs (she is about $40,000 per month)---they are fencing in about 40-60 acres right now---to grass feed the cows.

Yup, they must cut feed costs but as they cut feed costs their production will also be cut in milk---but then again, less money is needed to buy that darn feed hahaha

so as the needs and times change for specific farms, many do adapt to what is needed to stay afloat........instead of the corn fields and hay fields, they are giving 40-60 acresof pasture for feeding.

so not all of them are gonna make ya bang your head lol

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Blackbird said:
As I always say!
Herd mentality: Let's lynch the weirdo!
You got it. Thing is, I speak with facts, not government junk.
Wonder what will happen when they no longer get those subsidies and the nose above water sinks?

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Now that things have quieted down here, I have decided for sure that I will hang here. Its so much more comfy :love

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
One time at a family gathering, i made a derogatory comment about Monsatan. Hubby's uncle who is a farmer, said "they are the best thing ttha happened to farming. due to respect for my inlaws, I zipped it. But I did want to leave early and hubby obliged me, as he knew I was a ticking timebomb.

Rebecka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Okay, back to the subject at hand. What would you feed them other than grass? We have two cattle farmers near by and we get beef from both. They were both quite trilled to talk about their cattle being grass and hay feed. Help a sister out cause I don't get it.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
commerical farms (most) feed a very heavy grain load. Ruminants should not be getting grain. This is why cows and such get sick, their stomachs are not made to digest grains. they live in feed lots as opposed to open pasture etc etc.

eta the o in open

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Yup. My family on both sides is for the big scale mass production stuff. Heck, my uncles just had that automated 'self milking' system added. We have to be grateful for farmers, for what they do, really. However, most (in my area) simply do not care about the health aspects of it, nor how detrimental it is for our future. It is their life, if they can change, most will not.

BBrooks.. Maybe I ask why you left to begin with..? What happened???