Reaction score
yea I saw some shows about how supplies etc get to those areas
very tough indeed

your prices sure reflect that work
woof

Buster

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Around here, pretty much all the cattle are grass fed. At least, the ones raised by farmers who actually know what they are doing. They brag about it, in fact.

It is the finishing that is different. Most of them finish on grain.

But even that is slowly changing. One of the biggest ranches around here is transitioning to grass finished beef.

Bethanial

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Bethanial said:
I WANNA GOAT!
Oh, you don't want a nasty ol' goat!!!! :sick

You wanna hair sheeple!!!! :love
Bee, what's a hair sheeple? And Blackbird, my BIL is doing his level best to talk me out of a goat! His family raised them when he was a kid and he hates them with a passion - only good goat is a dead goat and all that blather.

I want the ability to have my own raw milk (but not gallons a day) as it's just me, my son, and my mom, and his lactose intolerant gut could process raw milk. And at ~$5/ .5 gal for lactaid milk/store brand, I'd be content right now with a local source or a share in a goat or cow. I'm also liking the idea of turning the extra males into meat....

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I want an Irish Dexter. Small, family sized cow and no smelly billy goats :D

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Bethanial said:
Beekissed said:
Bethanial said:
I WANNA GOAT!
Oh, you don't want a nasty ol' goat!!!! :sick

You wanna hair sheeple!!!! :love
Bee, what's a hair sheeple? And Blackbird, my BIL is doing his level best to talk me out of a goat! His family raised them when he was a kid and he hates them with a passion - only good goat is a dead goat and all that blather.

I want the ability to have my own raw milk (but not gallons a day) as it's just me, my son, and my mom, and his lactose intolerant gut could process raw milk. And at ~$5/ .5 gal for lactaid milk/store brand, I'd be content right now with a local source or a share in a goat or cow. I'm also liking the idea of turning the extra males into meat....
When goats are not treated properly, they are an absolute pain.
I have memories on how my family dealt with goats :th
No way will I repeat some of those things.
And yes, many of our family think they are awful as a result.

Get a goat. That stuff from the store? Your better off going casien free.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
THESE are hair sheep! No shearing, hardy to the nth degree, easy care, personality plus animals.....and you could milk them if you really wanted. Not the milk output that a goat would have but still very rich....said to be like a Jersey cow.

No docking, no disbudding, no illnesses, no big parasite loads....just easy, breezy lawn care.

82_first_lamb_039.jpg

82_sale_pics_of_sheep_003.jpg

82_misc_scenery_sheep_calf_butchering_101.jpg

82_misc_scenery_sheep_calf_butchering_102.jpg

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
I want an Irish Dexter. Small, family sized cow and no smelly billy goats :D
I would prefer a cow as well, but we are stick with one acre. Goats I can take for walks in the woods on the mushing trails, and cut and bring back browse for them as well.
If we are ever blessed to obtain a real homestead, a cow will be added for sure.