Note to self. Never talk to a farmer about grass feeding

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
well being in a free market is the best of all worlds

you choose what you want to eat kinda.....so if ya don't want the commercial production food available find substitutes

that is basically all we can do when it comes to choosing what goes on your table

and of course being an educated consumer

I know one thing, Rex takes the health of his cows very intense. They live better than he does HAHA after all it is his livelihood and every cow down or lost is very high dollars out of his pocket.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Blackbird said:
Yup. My family on both sides is for the big scale mass production stuff. Heck, my uncles just had that automated 'self milking' system added. We have to be grateful for farmers, for what they do, really. However, most (in my area) simply do not care about the health aspects of it, nor how detrimental it is for our future. It is their life, if they can change, most will not.

BBrooks.. Maybe I ask why you left to begin with..? What happened???
Harrasment by an now banned member.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
One time at a family gathering, i made a derogatory comment about Monsatan. Hubby's uncle who is a farmer, said "they are the best thing ttha happened to farming. due to respect for my inlaws, I zipped it. But I did want to leave early and hubby obliged me, as he knew I was a ticking timebomb.
I hear ya Miss

I do that...sometimes it just ain't worth it to go farther ya know! :)

Niele da Kine

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Many farmers feed grain to cows, pigs, chickens, etc. If you want grass fed, just move here. Nobody can afford to import grain so if it is local beef or milk, it's grass fed. The dairy has several large fields of corn now, so I guess that will be feed, but they are at least growing it themselves. They even have fertilizer produced on site to grow it with.

Folks can't even afford to import hay or straw so almost everything is grass fed if the folks raising it aren't subsidizing it from something else. I think a square bale of alfalfa hay is somewhere over $20 a bale, I'm not sure how that would compare to mainland prices. I get a few rabbit pellets but that's just a supplement to the grass and ti leaves they eat as their main diet.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Rebecka said:
Okay, back to the subject at hand. What would you feed them other than grass? We have two cattle farmers near by and we get beef from both. They were both quite trilled to talk about their cattle being grass and hay feed. Help a sister out cause I don't get it.
Grass in summer. Hay for beef in winter, and hay and root veges for cows.
http://matronofhusbandry.wordpress.com/
Favorite blog dealing with proper feeding and grazing of cattle and cows naturally :love

Back on for a bit cause dh has to run errands after works so dinner is delayed.
I love talking about this kind of stuff!

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Niele da Kine said:
Many farmers feed grain to cows, pigs, chickens, etc. If you want grass fed, just move here. Nobody can afford to import grain so if it is local beef or milk, it's grass fed. The dairy has several large fields of corn now, so I guess that will be feed, but they are at least growing it themselves. They even have fertilizer produced on site to grow it with.

Folks can't even afford to import hay or straw so almost everything is grass fed if the folks raising it aren't subsidizing it from something else. I think a square bale of alfalfa hay is somewhere over $20 a bale, I'm not sure how that would compare to mainland prices. I get a few rabbit pellets but that's just a supplement to the grass and ti leaves they eat as their main diet.
Alafalfa is $21 here in Alaska.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Bethanial said:
I WANNA GOAT!
Well, start planning!
Goats are like moose. They eat browse. Thankfully though, unlike moose hay agrees with them.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yikes
:ep

feel for ya on those prices people