Note to self. Never talk to a farmer about grass feeding

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Wifezilla that is very sad. I was thinking about the cows the Amish raise near my Auntie. They are pasture raised but I think even those Amish finish with a bit of grain. I imagine a bit of grain at the end does not lead to all the e coli issues in the gut.

Humm just wondering.

g

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
It depends on how long they are on grain, how many animals are crammed together, etc...

If you are talking about an Amish farmer with pasture giving some grain near the end, I doubt it is going to be a big issue.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
Does any one know why the cows that are pasture/grass fed are finished on grain? Does it add fat? Just wondering. I think my Auntie said even the Amish in her area finish with grain.

:hu
Most old-timers feel like it clarifies the meat and drives out any strong flavor caused by grass consumption. Sort of like folks soak deer meat in salt water to remove the "gamey" flavor.

Usually, around here anyway, they finish on grain for 2-3 wks before slaughter. It really isn't enough to add enormous amounts of fat or marbling to the meat but most feel it does improve the flavor.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I personally have no problem with the concept of graining animals....I grain some of mine. As long as it is used judiciously and while the animals are on pasture, and that grass is providing the vast majority of their nutrition. My dad would do this with our steers. I will do this with my pigs. Etc.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Light whole grain finishing, and in our case no soy, is just fine and mimics the fall time in the fields ;)