Note to self. Never talk to a farmer about grass feeding

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
I would seriously suggest those who plan on getting a cow, to visit someone who owns one first, to try leading it around, milking, etc. If I EVER owned bovines.. They would be Highlanders strictly for meat. My grandparents and uncles are dairy farmers... I get enough injuries from the goats. No milking a cow for me.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
that "little" cow could kill ya in a heartbeat lol

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
They are bred, partially, for their temperament.

Dexters, having been bred as homestead cows over the generations, have developed without question the most people oriented disposition of any breed of bovine. Not only are Dexters very much oriented towards their people, they also display a very high degree of curiosity and intelligence in their actions and face.

Wanna see the perfect description of cute??
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3h8Z8cdvB0

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:lol: I love your wit! :clap Now I gotta go take a second look at the guy...

OK, I looked. Might be nice for a leisurely outing.

curly_kate

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Glad to hear I'm not the only one who gets that reaction when I suggest we'll grass feed our cattle (when we get some, that is!) DH & I were SHOCKED by how vehemently people reacted when we suggested that grass feeding would be the way we go. And these were dear, dear friends! They just kept assuring us that grass fed meat tastes terrible and is just the most awful thing you've ever eaten (although I would guarantee that they've never actually consumed it!). And when we said we've had grass-fed beef, and it's actually quite good, we were told that it must have been fed grain at SOME point in time.... Given that these were "cow people," we just let it go. :rolleyes: I can see disagreeing with someone, but the level of emotion we got was akin to if we had spit on the flag or something.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
SKR8PN said:
FarmerChick said:
They are bred, partially, for their temperament.

Dexters, having been bred as homestead cows over the generations, have developed without question the most people oriented disposition of any breed of bovine. Not only are Dexters very much oriented towards their people, they also display a very high degree of curiosity and intelligence in their actions and face.

Wanna see the perfect description of cute??
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3h8Z8cdvB0
Yea and with writings like that....it is exactly how people get killed...even by the "mini" sizes....lol

I know they have a good temperment but I just wanted to point out that walking cattle is not like walking a dog ever......of course most on this board know that!! just a reminder to respect all extremely heavy livestock on the farm.

when truly non domestic animals are treated as pets you get into big troubles. ever watch that show "when animals attack" or "fatal attractions" ---whew, I watched some of those and yikes they are just insanity

like a woman who had a fetish with rattlesnakes...yup found her dead on the floor after about a week. geez, cause of death, snake bite :(

the guy who "loved and trusted" his bull.....well after the one run in when the bull tried to stomp him, he said he interrupted the bull and would be more cautious....well yup found him dead under the bull later also

the lady who loved big cats, owning tigers...forgot to make sure the inside cage door shut while cleaning outside cage, yup, her tiger was eating her when the son found her

OOOhhhhhhh I just got to rambling cause when I see shows like that it gives me the willies......woof LOL

That "mini" cow believes he is a big cow in his brain and will act just like any other big cow out there in this world.......but again, most know that

Buster

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
One more time, with feeling...

Most beef cattle are grass-fed. It is the finishing that differs. Your cattle are going to be grass-finished, rather than grain (mostly corn) finished.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Does any one know why the cows that are pasture/grass fed are finished on grain? Does it add fat? Just wondering. I think my Auntie said even the Amish in her area finish with grain.

:hu

Latest posts