Nourishing Traditions and other Recipes for a Better Health

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
That's awesome that you have access to local "fresh" maple syrup!

If they pile on the yogurt and fruit, they won't "need" as much syrup, and won't notice how "strong" the taste is (although my kids have never had the choice--they eat what we put out).

Is there a reason why you are going low-carb? I know there's a lot of hype about it here on the forum, but do you have a specific reason for it? There are good carbs and bad--the more complex the better, absolutely stay away from the simple sugars--but the body actually needs carbs for fuel :)

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
FarmerJamie said:
Thanks, WZ, I get the cheese/meat snacks, but any substitution options for potato chips? Love the salty crunch. :hide
Have you seen my flax seed cracker recipe? Awesome crunch and ou can flavour them however you want.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
I went low-carb 4 years ago and lost 70 lbs. Then had a couple of surgeries and some other drama and the healthy eating habits went out the window. I need to get back to where I was - I slept better, had more energy, has was all-round in a better state of mind. I am just looking for motivation and an fresh approach to get back to where I was. (low-carb, not no-carb)

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I'd eat the bacon/sausage and two or three eggs cooked in butter. Try saving your grain servings for later in the day. That really works for me. If you are starving mid-morning, it is likely due to not enough protein and fat, or you are sensitive to the grains. Try leaving the grains out for a while and see how you do.

If it is the phytates that you are sensitive to, you will have a stronger reaction to whole grains than to white flour, actually. This doesn't mean white flour is good for you....it just means you may have to eat grains only when they are soaked or sprouted.

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
I usually have an eggs with tons of veggies in the morning to hold me through. As in, I'll slice up a zucchini and a half, saute in fat, sprinkle a little sea salt on it and have that with my eggs. Or I'll do up as much spinach as I would eat in a salad at lunch and have that heated with some balsamic. Good fats with tons of veggie for filler have done the morning trick for me.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
freemotion said:
I'd eat the bacon/sausage and two or three eggs cooked in butter. Try saving your grain servings for later in the day. That really works for me. If you are starving mid-morning, it is likely due to not enough protein and fat, or you are sensitive to the grains. Try leaving the grains out for a while and see how you do.

If it is the phytates that you are sensitive to, you will have a stronger reaction to whole grains than to white flour, actually. This doesn't mean white flour is good for you....it just means you may have to eat grains only when they are soaked or sprouted.
Hmm, I don't think I've ever really had issues with grains. I think the first part of not enough protein is what it is.

My BP is really good, coffee/no coffee doesn't seem to mess with me either way. I drink close to a pot in the morning. Any issues there?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
What would happen if you just had one cup? Do you need it to get going? Do you drink more during the day? What else are you drinking throughout the day and in what amounts?

A little coffee is ok for most people, but excessive coffee....and a pot is excessive....is a red flag for a number of things.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
freemotion said:
What would happen if you just had one cup? Do you need it to get going? Do you drink more during the day? What else are you drinking throughout the day and in what amounts?

A little coffee is ok for most people, but excessive coffee....and a pot is excessive....is a red flag for a number of things.
Yeah, your poor adrenals are going to go kaput at some point.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
I will drink two cups in the morning before I leave for work, and rest goes in the thermos to take to work to drink throughout the morning. I love my coffee, been drinking coffee like this since college. I drink it black, maybe a shot of milk now and then. If I cut back or go without it really doesn't slow me down, I just enjoy my java. As far as the rest of the day - usually 6-8 8oz glasses of water, including at all meals. Very rarely drink any sodas.

Two slices of thick bacon and two large eggs over easy for breakfast. Plus my coffee :hide

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Increase the water to make up for the diuretic coffee. The goal with water is half your body weight in ounces daily, up to one gallon for someone very heavy. Then up that amount if you drink diuretic drinks like those with caffeine or sugar (even fruit juice) or if you exercise, if it is hot or dry, etc. Don't drink much just before or with meals, as this dilutes your digestive juices.

Latest posts