Nourishing Traditions and other Recipes for a Better Health

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
I drink 1 cup a day. Tops. Some days I skip coffee. It's mostly my calming thing when I have to be social, which in my job, means my half way through the shift treat. Lots of heavy cream in it. No sugar.

By 1 cup, I mean 8 ounces, too.

Don't drink much just before or with meals, as this dilutes your digestive juices.
That has made me digest SO much better. I don't drink anything with meals. Unless I'm eating something dry that I'm likely to choke on. When I have seizures, I'm like a toddler. Choke on half of what I eat. *rolls eyes*

Jamie, I have oodles of great low carb recipes :) Auntie and I are eventually going to publish a cookbook.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
abifae said:
I drink 1 cup a day. Tops. Some days I skip coffee. It's mostly my calming thing when I have to be social, which in my job, means my half way through the shift treat. Lots of heavy cream in it. No sugar.

By 1 cup, I mean 8 ounces, too.

Don't drink much just before or with meals, as this dilutes your digestive juices.
That has made me digest SO much better. I don't drink anything with meals. Unless I'm eating something dry that I'm likely to choke on. When I have seizures, I'm like a toddler. Choke on half of what I eat. *rolls eyes*

Jamie, I have oodles of great low carb recipes :) Auntie and I are eventually going to publish a cookbook.
:hide so you were being social? :hide :D

If you need someone to test drive those recipes....

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
FarmerJamie said:

I WAS being social neener head. So there. :lol:

When I'm a bit more awake and focused, I'll get you some "please test me" recipes.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
abifae said:
FarmerJamie said:

I WAS being social neener head. So there. :lol:

When I'm a bit more awake and focused, I'll get you some "please test me" recipes.
:pop :pop :pop :pop :pop

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Okay, this week's adventure is to try to cut down on coffee. I'm only brewing 1/2 pot, not taking any with me in the car, and not buying any at work. I'm basically down to 3 cups. 1 when I get up, 1 with breakfast, and 1 as I'm shaving, etc. getting ready for work. Trying to up the water intake, but that water has to go somewhere, and two hours meetings without a break are not my friend. :hide

Dinner last night was homemade chicken noodle soup (including the noodles). DW had gotten chicken out Monday morning to thaw, and accidently grabbed a bag of necks and backs. When I got home to start dinner, I made something else and then got the stock simmering. I went to bed early, and she forgot about the stock, so it simmered all night long. I cleaned in up it the morning to cool. She skimmed what little fat was on it and made homemade egg noodles late afternoon. good eating. :D

Tonight's dinner was not so healthy. :hide

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Your soup sounds lovely! (I won't ask about tonight's dinner, we all fall down here and there so don't worry about it.)

We popped our Thanksgiving turkey carcass (Canuck Thanksgiving is the second Monday of October, we always have our dinner on the Sunday and leftovers on the Monday) into the crockpot that night after dinner, and didn't get to making the soup till this past Saturday--the long simmer made for some AMAZING stock! Deeply coloured and flavoured, and perfect for a nice fall Turkey Veg soup :)

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
moolie said:
Your soup sounds lovely! (I won't ask about tonight's dinner, we all fall down here and there so don't worry about it.)

We popped our Thanksgiving turkey carcass (Canuck Thanksgiving is the second Monday of October, we always have our dinner on the Sunday and leftovers on the Monday) into the crockpot that night after dinner, and didn't get to making the soup till this past Saturday--the long simmer made for some AMAZING stock! Deeply coloured and flavoured, and perfect for a nice fall Turkey Veg soup :)
We just finished our turkey soup. Mmmmmmm. CAme in handy when we are all dealing with colds now.

Good luck on the coffee, Jamie. I just bought a bag of hazelnut vanilla coffee beans, so I am trying to not overdue the stuff.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Dunno which post or thread it was, but something I read here a day or two ago made me think about the *habits* that we all have - be they coffee, or chocolate, or (in my case) black tea, or whatever they may be. Unless one's habit is an easily obtainable thing - and the 3 mentioned above are not - it behooves us all to think hard about our own personal habits, and consider learning how to cut back ... before circumstances require us to. I can stock up on my favorite tea, but it is conceivable that, at some point, my stash will run out before I can renew it. If one cannot function without coffee/chocolate/tea/whatever, it will be very painful when whatever it is is no longer available. I claim that I can't get going in the morning without some hot, strong, black, unsweetened tea (hey ... that means I don't have to stock sugar, right?), but that isn't really true - but I'm not happy when I have to prove that point - this morning I overslept, and had to get to my dentist appointment without my tea; it was hard. When push comes to shove, I am afraid that peppermint tea just is not going to fill the need <sigh>
Good luck with the coffee cut back; and please wish me the same as I try to limit my tea consumption :rolleyes:.

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ORChick said:
Dunno which post or thread it was, but something I read here a day or two ago made me think about the *habits* that we all have - be they coffee, or chocolate, or (in my case) black tea, or whatever they may be. Unless one's habit is an easily obtainable thing - and the 3 mentioned above are not - it behooves us all to think hard about our own personal habits, and consider learning how to cut back ... before circumstances require us to. I can stock up on my favorite tea, but it is conceivable that, at some point, my stash will run out before I can renew it. If one cannot function without coffee/chocolate/tea/whatever, it will be very painful when whatever it is is no longer available. I claim that I can't get going in the morning without some hot, strong, black, unsweetened tea (hey ... that means I don't have to stock sugar, right?), but that isn't really true - but I'm not happy when I have to prove that point - this morning I overslept, and had to get to my dentist appointment without my tea; it was hard. When push comes to shove, I am afraid that peppermint tea just is not going to fill the need <sigh>
Good luck with the coffee cut back; and please wish me the same as I try to limit my tea consumption :rolleyes:.
When I was pregnant, I couldn't drink coffee without horrible heartburn. Guess what? I stopped drinking coffee.

I'm not a huge addict to anything - I prefer to have a cup or two in the morning of coffee or tea. But I'll survive without it. I do have friends who were addicted to mountain dew or such, and were completely intolerable the day after their mountain dew ran out...

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You could try growing Camellia sinensis (tea plant), although if you live in a cold climate it will have to live indoors or greenhouse. The fermentation process to make black tea might be too much trouble, but green tea is simply a matter of drying the leaves. One old chinese fella I knew told me that he could reuse the same green leaves (he got them as whole leaf) for pots of tea all day long-- sounds nice and thrifty!

Might be a little harder to grow coffee- I suspect you would need more than one tree to make a decent amount of coffee.

Latest posts