Now I have a sick kitty problem....pictures p 5....

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Topaz the Spaz (Topie for short) was yowling this morning. I went to look for him and he was in the bedroom on the floor in a strange posture....laying down but almost from a crouch position, if that makes sense. His pupils were/are open all the way. No reaction when I turned on the light, although it was not in his eyes. Had to run to an appointment and just got back

He was on a pile of laundry a few feet away when I got back and his pupils are the same. I patted him and tried gently to get him to move and he completely rolled over and landed in a similar position....but it was not a controlled roll. I picked him up and put him down and he kinda did the same thing. I took him directly under the strong kitchen light and his pupils remained wide open.

He is yowling again now.

I put him down and he crouch-walked into the bathroom, he seemed to have some sight.

I'm about to dose him with my supplements.....B's and super-antioxidants. I've seen it strengthen critters before and give them a bit of oomph needed to heal.

Anyone know what might be going on? The only vet bill will be to euthanize him, so we kinda need to know if anyone has any ideas if we should not prolong this. Otherwise, he will be shut into the bathroom where the dogs won't harass him and we will see how he does in the next 24 hours.

He didn't come out for breakfast this morning, not unusual, he usually does the bulk of his eating later in the day. He is not slim, not fat, but hefty. But he should want food by now, normally.

He used his box since yesterday when dh did the big cleanout of the boxes.

Oh, he caught and ate a mouse last week. To my knowledge he's never eaten his catch before. He is around 15 years old I think.

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I know I'm more Dr and Vet prone than most on this forum.....but I would definately take him to the vet. It sounds like he's hurting, and there are no visible signs of injury? Vet.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Sounds neurological. 15 was a good haul. brain tumor? With the yowling I'd take the cat in and say goodbye.

Sorry free. :hugs

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
You have to understand that in this suburban/urban mostly middle class and wealthy area that you do not walk into the vet's office without dropping a minimum of $250 for a general wellness visit with a couple of vaccinations, more (usually much more) for any treatment/evaluation of any kind. My last two vet visits for house pets cost $900 and up. It is not happening. My last euthanizing visit with a baby goat three years ago was $69. It sounds awful, but when it is a choice of mortgage or old cat, well, where will the cat live if we don't pay the mortgage.

:hit

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
savingdogs said:
Sounds neurological. 15 was a good haul. brain tumor? With the yowling I'd take the cat in and say goodbye.

Sorry free. :hugs
That is what I am thinking. I was hoping someone would say "I had that happen and the next day the cat was just fine!"

:hit

Florezian

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Is it possible he could've eaten something poisonous? (Medication, cleaning supplies ect..?)

Have you put any type of flea/tick meds on him?

Could the mouse have been poisoned?

Is he twitching at all?
Abnormal pupils are most often indicative of a neural issue...

Florezian

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Whoops, missed a few replies.

If it is a poisoning situation, it is possible he will be fine.
There was an older cat brought into the clinic where I was shadowing, and its pupils were huge, it was crouched, twitching and just very out of it. It was fine by the next day, just very exhausted.

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I wish I could offer some help, but that situation is not familiar to me.

If it could be poisoning, do you have activated charcoal? With what info I've seen so far, if it were me, I'd give that a try.

I totally understand about the vet costs. Pet animals around here tend to cost high dollar ($200 quoted just for tapeworm meds for two cats and a dog!). I'm still walking a tightrope with my asthma kitty. I know it's hard when they get sick like that and you're not sure what it is.

Hoping it's maybe poison and can be treated? I hope he does alright. Hugs!!!!!!!!