Nuclear myths and truths

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
There are real and tangible negative impacts of solar and wind farms to the environment. From limiting acreage use, habitat destruction, mining of raw materials,and manufacturing of equipment, disruption of wildlife habitats.

The discussion must be had on the overall cost/benefit of the solution. Solar and wind are not the default best solution by a long shot. Ymmv

The wind farms that I have seen around here are in open pastures, no limiting acreage use, no habitat destruction. Yes, mining of raw materials, manufacturing, etc but you have that with virtually every single thing that's in your home at this moment. As far as I'm concerned, solar and wind are the best things for our area.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@Marianne That's a crazy amount to spend for very little return. And, that's why more people are not doing it. The very people who stand to benefit the most (the ones who struggle to pay those utility bills) are the ones who the technology is not available to.... unless they possess the DIY drive and skill to make it happen without paying for the convenience of having someone else build it.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I researched both wind and solar. Both are not all that in terms of power generated. Its has to be sunny or windy to produce power and then the configuration will determine how much. Battery technology is not there yet and a huge cost. Replacements have to be calculated in also. The chemicals used to make both solar, wind and batteries are very dangerous also.

The best solution in my mind is hydroelectric. A water wheel in a creek turning a generator is fairly consistent except in winter when the water is frozen solid (northern states).

I wouldn't get my hopes up to high, when you start your research you'll be amazed just how inefficient, costly and environmently harmful solar and wind really is.
I do agree that if you have running water in your area, use hydro. Solar cells have to be manufactured in a responsible way, just like everything else in this world. No such thing as windmill cancer and if you regularly get sunburned, you may end up with 'solar' cancer. But most of those claims have been debunked. Dumping toxic waste in waterways or on the ground, burying, etc is more frightening to me than any of the claims against solar or wind technology.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I do agree that if you have running water in your area, use hydro. Solar cells have to be manufactured in a responsible way, just like everything else in this world. No such thing as windmill cancer and if you regularly get sunburned, you may end up with 'solar' cancer. But most of those claims have been debunked. Dumping toxic waste in waterways or on the ground, burying, etc is more frightening to me than any of the claims against solar or wind technology.

Read for yourself ---> https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.th...012/aug/07/china-rare-earth-village-pollution

Or google "china magnet pollution"

Last edited:

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@Marianne That's a crazy amount to spend for very little return. And, that's why more people are not doing it. The very people who stand to benefit the most (the ones who struggle to pay those utility bills) are the ones who the technology is not available to.... unless they possess the DIY drive and skill to make it happen without paying for the convenience of having someone else build it.
That's right. That's why I've always liked passive solar, especially scrap heap passive solar. Some areas have a rebate program if you use a solar option along with the electrical grid. They install panels on your roof that you basically rent, but your power bill is so much lower, you end up paying less than the standard electrical bill.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I would love to add passive solar to our house. I envision a green house entry tied to the front of the existing house, with stone and water for thermal mass. Heat could be directed into the house as needed, and vented to outside when not needed. I've seen greenhouses that are cooled by drawing air in through underground vents.

I've also seen DIY solar heat panels that are designed to attach to the side of the house. Sending heat in through a window, or through a separate vent. Then, there's the solar hot water. Fairly easy construct... if one can sweat a pipe joint. I assume that PVC could also be used... ? PEX???

Any of these add on's would go a long ways to reducing dependence on the grid or fossil fuels.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That's right. That's why I've always liked passive solar, especially scrap heap passive solar. Some areas have a rebate program if you use a solar option along with the electrical grid. They install panels on your roof that you basically rent, but your power bill is so much lower, you end up paying less than the standard electrical bill.

One of my sons works for a company that is dipping their toe into solar technology. I had a conversation with him last Sunday and in just an hour we came up with four new inventions to improve the performance of solar panels. Let me just say this... Solar technology is in its infentcy stage. There is a ton of room for improvements.

I guess my question to you is who gets up on the roof and cleans the panels? To obtain the highest output rating they need to be clean at all times. This also needs to be factored in when sizing an solar array. Just like cleaning your windows in your house, but much more often because if they even get a little dirty you loose effency. Not to mention, snow and or icying in the winter months.

Last edited:

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
If the panels are positioned on a typical single story roof, Why couldn't they be cleaned with high pressure water from standard hose, and a tool similar to a roof rake, but with soft material instead of the "rake"? Panels also can be put at ground level. Bruce who is on BYC and @Beekissed Front Porch Swing forums has ground level mounted solar panels. He's in VT and is averaging good power output in spite of rainy and snowy days.

Sounds like cleaning panels would be a good job for a local specialty business. I'd much rather see my money going to provide income for a local business than seeing my money going to pay high utility bills that are largely supported by the nuclear industry.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The most important thing people can do is start looking at how much electricity they use, and where they can cut. For instance, most people feel like they MUST have air conditioning in the summer; and yet, humans did without that for most of our time on earth