Nuclear Reactor Meltdown has Occured

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Ok so now what about the 17 service men who were exposed from the Reagan ship? They "discarded" the clothing and washed down the men. They said the radiation exposure was equal to 1 month in the sun. After saying that the ship sailed into a radioactive cloud, they are now moving it away. As to not be down wind.

So like how far down wind does one need to be???

:th

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
okiegirl1 said:
this was on msnbc "The Japanese authorities have classified the event at Daiichi's No. 1 as a level 4 "accident with local consequences" on the International Nuclear and Radiological Event Scale (INES). <snip> The 1979 Three Mile Island accident in Pennsylvania was a level 5 ("accident with wider consequences"). The 1986 Chernobyl disaster was a level 7 ("major accident"). "
Yah well, the Japanese gov't WOULD say that wouldn't they.

Reuters is reporting that the French nuclear safety organization disagrees, saying "We feel that we are at least at level five or even at level 6."

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/french-nuclear-agency-rates-japan-accident-5-6-20110314-093343-411.html

At this point who can really tell.

Pat

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
Ok so now what about the 17 service men who were exposed from the Reagan ship? They "discarded" the clothing and washed down the men. They said the radiation exposure was equal to 1 month in the sun. After saying that the ship sailed into a radioactive cloud, they are now moving it away. As to not be down wind.

So like how far down wind does one need to be???
In this case, I think chiefly one has to be far enough downwind that the American public will not get itself all in a swivet hearing about it, and to have plausible deniability in the extreme off-chance that there should have been miscalculation of what the exposure was and thus actual consequences.

TanksHill, there is actually considerable *truth* in the saying "dilution is the solution to pollution". Especially for minimal releases of not very serious stuff like this. Bear in mind this ship was just a few (twelve? I forget) miles away from the reactor at the time. California is, what, several *thousand* miles away.

Breathe ;)

Pat

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
:smack ok thanks I needed that.

You just never know. If my chickens start dropping dead or the veggies mutate. You will be fist to know.

g

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Well my husband tried to buy potassium iodide today locally and it is sold out. We were getting it "just in case" something worse happens. He found it online though.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Many of the people you are hearing talking about the dangers of nuclear power in the press in the last few days all seem to be tied to George Sorros. Coincidence? Nope!

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
Many of the people you are hearing talking about the dangers of nuclear power in the press in the last few days all seem to be tied to George Sorros. Coincidence? Nope!
Uh, in the US maybe (I have not really been following the US media coverage too much on this, especially not political commentators, so I dunno.)

But if you notice, pretty much THE ENTIRE WORLD are talking about the dangers of nuclear power in the press the last few days. I am pretty sure that in India and Australia and Germany and elsewhere -- and certainly in Canada -- nobody knows or cares who this George Sorros is.

It is just a pretty darn OBVIOUS thing to be voicing concerns about at the moment.

Pat

Dunkopf

On Vacation
Reaction score
I heard the Navy was very concerned about all the debris in the ocean off Japan now. They said it is really of more concern than the radiation. However they don't really know what is to come. Better safe than sorry.

Latest posts