Obama finally called them out

Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
What about low income families who can't afford to purchase the health insurance, or families who don't want the insurance, everyone has to pay that fee? and if you don't pay it go to jail?

Yikes
The fees are much lower than that. Families that can't afford to buy health insurance will be subsidized and there will be no jail. The jail part is especially ludicrous. Just more right wing lies. YIKES. Who elec ts these morons anyway?

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I am sure there will be rumors of "death panels" created for those who resist being covered...LOL

afterall our govt is out to kill us all...HA HA HA--didn't you hear???

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Big Daddy said:
k0xxx said:
Sen. John Ensign (R-Nev.) received a handwritten note Thursday from Joint Committee on Taxation Chief of Staff Tom Barthold confirming the penalty for failing to pay the up to $1,900 fee for not buying health insurance.

Violators could be charged with a misdemeanor and could face up to a year in jail or a $25,000 penalty, Barthold wrote on JCT letterhead. He signed it "Sincerely, Thomas A. Barthold."

Link

First, they said that health care would be a matter of choice. Then they said that it's still a matter of choice, but if you choose not to have it, we'll just tax you more. Now it's still a matter of choice, but if you choose to not to have it, we'll tax you more and provide it free (at least during the time that you are in jail).

We're from the Government, and we're here to help.

"I have altered the bargain. Pray that I do alter it further." Darth Vader
You know there are people on this forum that are under informed enough to actually believe that.
"Senator John Ensign (R-NV) wanted to get an answer on the implications of the individual mandate in the ObamaCare bill floated by Max Baucus (D-MT) during the markup session. Ensign asked Thomas Barthold, chief of staff of the Joint Committee on Taxation, what would happen if a taxpayer refused to buy health insurance and then refused to pay the subsequent fine, which could run to $1900 for an individual."

Barthold is saying that since the fine for not having insurance is collected through the IRS, that not paying the fine is essentially tax evasion and subject to prosecution as such.

Here is a link to a copy of the actual document.

Apparently, there are people on this forum that are under informed enough to actually not believe that.

ObamaCare - The efficiency of the of the DMV and the Compassion of the IRS

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
k0xxx said:
Big Daddy said:
k0xxx said:
Sen. John Ensign (R-Nev.) received a handwritten note Thursday from Joint Committee on Taxation Chief of Staff Tom Barthold confirming the penalty for failing to pay the up to $1,900 fee for not buying health insurance.

Violators could be charged with a misdemeanor and could face up to a year in jail or a $25,000 penalty, Barthold wrote on JCT letterhead. He signed it "Sincerely, Thomas A. Barthold."

Link

First, they said that health care would be a matter of choice. Then they said that it's still a matter of choice, but if you choose not to have it, we'll just tax you more. Now it's still a matter of choice, but if you choose to not to have it, we'll tax you more and provide it free (at least during the time that you are in jail).

We're from the Government, and we're here to help.

"I have altered the bargain. Pray that I do alter it further." Darth Vader
You know there are people on this forum that are under informed enough to actually believe that.
"Senator John Ensign (R-NV) wanted to get an answer on the implications of the individual mandate in the ObamaCare bill floated by Max Baucus (D-MT) during the markup session. Ensign asked Thomas Barthold, chief of staff of the Joint Committee on Taxation, what would happen if a taxpayer refused to buy health insurance and then refused to pay the subsequent fine, which could run to $1900 for an individual."

Barthold is saying that since the fine for not having insurance is collected through the IRS, that not paying the fine is essentially tax evasion and subject to prosecution as such.

Here is a link to a copy of the actual document.

Apparently, there are people on this forum that are under informed enough to actually not believe that.

ObamaCare - The efficiency of the of the DMV and the Compassion of the IRS
Could you link to the article that contained this document? When I tried to look it up on Politico I found some dismal stories on Ensign but not the article that would have accompanied this. Thanks.

Reaction score
Well there is no bill yet. There is no Obamacare, yet. I understand what you are saying now. If they decide to mandate that everyone have health care or pay a percentage of their salary into a pool. The way they would collect your percentage would be through taxes of course. So it would logically follow that if you refuse to pay your taxes then you could incur further penalties and ultimately you could go to jail. That's what happens to people that knowingly falsify taxes or refuse to pay taxes.

I still think they should allow people to opt out if they want. If you don't want health insurance then you just don't get any medical procedures unless you have made financial arrangements in advance. This would include emergency medical treatment.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
that one is hard for me

choose to opt out, no coverge, and BE REFUSED all medical care at an emergency center? I can't see this happening because it is immoral and unethical for doctors not to treat an injured person.

Come to emergency with a heart attack happening, spur of the moment, no coverage, what are they going to do, leave you in the hallway to die? It just can't work well for anyone in that situation.

Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
that one is hard for me

choose to opt out, no coverge, and BE REFUSED all medical care at an emergency center? I can't see this happening because it is immoral and unethical for doctors not to treat an injured person.

Come to emergency with a heart attack happening, spur of the moment, no coverage, what are they going to do, leave you in the hallway to die? It just can't work well for anyone in that situation.
Precisely. I'm trying to make a point. It's not an option. You can't be left to die. So everyone should have to pay in. The other option is to possibly die.