Obama finally called them out

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
Big Daddy said:
I think that instead of forcing people to carry health insurance they should just change the rules. If you have insurance you must keep your card at all times. If you don't then you will have to post a 100,000$ bond before you can be admitted to any emergency treatment and pay in advance for any routine medical treatment or at least have a payment plan set up. That way MY tax dollars aren't spent on people that don't want insurance.
I am no fan of Massachusetts plan and don't care for the mandatory health insurance idea.
Those are some good suggestions, but the $100,000 bond kind of bugs me. Would this be like bail bond or being bonded?
Collateral? Our devalued homes?
The value of most everything has decreased, the health care prices should keep in step, but aren't.
I find it deplorable that we must maintain high deductible insurance and consider a something like a $100,000 bond when the medical prices should be coming down, not our rising up to meet them as they increase uncontrollably!
There needs to be a major adjustment.

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
Sounds okay to me--but isn't that a freedom of speech issue? Wouldn't that be government takeover of the ad industry and more gov't intervention, which you don't want?
Rather mockingly put, however, no, it isn't freedom of speech, any more than it's against freedom of speech for the tobacco industry to be unable to advertise, or the liquor industry. There's plenty of precedent set to make pharmaceutical advertisements illegal.

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Big Daddy said:
reinbeau said:
Big Daddy said:
I'm always amused that the minority thinks they represent the majority. Beck gets 15000 people to show up at the capital
Wow, you've dropped it to a new low. Even the DC fire department estimated it to be 75,000, although Homeland Security's website said 1.3 million. Love those statistics, don't we?
I heard the DC fire dept said 10 to 15k. I guess it depends on who is quoting the figures huh. Shows you how worthless figures are. You're still in the minority either way. It's ok though. You're opinion does count.
According to you I'm in the minority. That's ok, you can say what you want, it's still a free country ;)

As for statistics, unless you quote a reliable source for anything you post, I consider them pulled out of thin air.

I like to follow the Rassmussen polls, like this article with the analysis of recent polling data regarding health care reform.

All polling data can be found on the Rassmussen Reports website. It's an interesting place to wander through.

Then there's the Zogby polls. Another interesting place to wander around.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
reinbeau said:
me&thegals said:
Sounds okay to me--but isn't that a freedom of speech issue? Wouldn't that be government takeover of the ad industry and more gov't intervention, which you don't want?
Rather mockingly put, however, no, it isn't freedom of speech, any more than it's against freedom of speech for the tobacco industry to be unable to advertise, or the liquor industry. There's plenty of precedent set to make pharmaceutical advertisements illegal.
Actually, this was not mockingly put at all. I really don't mind no tobacco ads. I also wouldn't mind no drug ads, but it really, truly, sincerely is a freedom of speech issue and I imagine one that the drug companies would fight big time.

Also, it really is gov't regulation of industry, which I thought was the main reason many folks on this thread were arguing against the current healthcare proposal.

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I object to the plan for many reasons, I have two main reasons I oppose it. One is the cost, how is it going to be paid for, the other is it would be government run - there is absolutely no proof that the government can do any major program like this properly. We've been over and over the reasons why many oppose this - government regulation of industry specifically isn't the aspect that I've heard much about. It's more about freedom of choice and overreaching government control. Actually three objections, overreaching government control is the third.

Reaction score
reinbeau said:
me&thegals said:
Wasn't that many years ago that the pharm companies weren't allowed to advertise. Now every other add is some drug you usually don't need.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Sen. John Ensign (R-Nev.) received a handwritten note Thursday from Joint Committee on Taxation Chief of Staff Tom Barthold confirming the penalty for failing to pay the up to $1,900 fee for not buying health insurance.

Violators could be charged with a misdemeanor and could face up to a year in jail or a $25,000 penalty, Barthold wrote on JCT letterhead. He signed it "Sincerely, Thomas A. Barthold."

Link

First, they said that health care would be a matter of choice. Then they said that it's still a matter of choice, but if you choose not to have it, we'll just tax you more. Now it's still a matter of choice, but if you choose to not to have it, we'll tax you more and provide it free (at least during the time that you are in jail).

We're from the Government, and we're here to help.

"I have altered the bargain. Pray that I do alter it further." Darth Vader

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
What about low income families who can't afford to purchase the health insurance, or families who don't want the insurance, everyone has to pay that fee? and if you don't pay it go to jail?

Yikes

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
There will be no family poor enough not to afford to buy a health care plan if they can wait til the IRS issues their subsidies. So much for the tax neutral nonsense.
In otherword, the government will buy health care plan for them while someone gets the heck taxed out of them to pay for it.
I wonder if Congress has the neccessary equipment to tax corporations, then of course we'll all pay. Except those who have overseas jobs and just import stuff into the US.
Any chance the people of the US could get taxes added to imports?????

Reaction score
k0xxx said:
Sen. John Ensign (R-Nev.) received a handwritten note Thursday from Joint Committee on Taxation Chief of Staff Tom Barthold confirming the penalty for failing to pay the up to $1,900 fee for not buying health insurance.

Violators could be charged with a misdemeanor and could face up to a year in jail or a $25,000 penalty, Barthold wrote on JCT letterhead. He signed it "Sincerely, Thomas A. Barthold."

Link

First, they said that health care would be a matter of choice. Then they said that it's still a matter of choice, but if you choose not to have it, we'll just tax you more. Now it's still a matter of choice, but if you choose to not to have it, we'll tax you more and provide it free (at least during the time that you are in jail).

We're from the Government, and we're here to help.

"I have altered the bargain. Pray that I do alter it further." Darth Vader
You know there are people on this forum that are under informed enough to actually believe that.