Obama will be speaking to all the school children of America this week

Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
Well, since ya'll brought up the Bible, let me add these, and I'll find where the scriptures are for you if you want to look them up, but that will take me a bit because I'm not good at remembering where.

The bible says if a man doesn't work, nor let him eat. (I'm sure this doesn't include those with disabilities or innocent children. Jesus said, "Suffer not the little children."

The Bible also had a "welfare" system. When people of biblical times harvested their fields, they were not to harvest the corners. The corners were left for the poor to collect and feed to their families. If they didn't go and reap the wheat or whatever was planted, then they went hungry. Even the poor had to earn their meals. Read the book of Ruth. Ruth went to the fields and gleaned what the reapers left to feed herself and her mother in law. Still, she worked for it.

BigDaddy, the scripture you are referring to is basically saying no amount of money one man has will gain them entry into heaven. You gain access to heaven by being forgiven, and accepting the gift of Salvation. That's why it's easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than a rich man to enter heaven. That's not to say rich won't be awarded heaven, as we don't know the conditions of their heart or whether or not they are forgiven.
That's the great thing about the Bible. You can interpret it to mean whatever fits your needs.

Reaction score
How about if the top 2% just paid what they are supposed too? When Warren Buffet says that his secretary pays a higher percentage than he does it indicates to me that something is wrong. I was dismayed when I heard criticism on this forum about the US gov suing Switzerland for hiding billions of dollars that our wealthy are trying to not pay taxes on. Of course that seems to be the popular mantra.

Reaction score
Dos anybody actually believe that the top 2% are going to take their marbles and move to a different country. Not a chance. It would cost them a fortune and there aren't any countries worth living in that have a lower tax rate or all the loopholes to avoid paying their fair share.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
Now answer me this---WHY does the govt. not have enough money to run simple programs for our country? Why is our debt THRU the roof and we will never dig out? Why?
Glad you asked :D. I'm pretty sure you cannot cut taxes and start 2 wars and maintain a great budget.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
HA HA HA you are right!
Yea it irks me with the money on hand, that our country doesn't come first.

Nice thing is there is money that can be found. Cut the waste and fraud in the programs.

Hey Obama said that last night in the speech. Finally someone might control the loss of funds. Well---of course we shall see!! :)

The amt. of money we send out of this country is horrible......we need some back to help our own! :)

Reaction score
me&thegals said:
FarmerChick said:
Now answer me this---WHY does the govt. not have enough money to run simple programs for our country? Why is our debt THRU the roof and we will never dig out? Why?
Glad you asked :D. I'm pretty sure you cannot cut taxes and start 2 wars and maintain a great budget.
Clinton had us dug out pretty well. But then again he was a tax and spend liberal. Wait maybe that was Bush. But Bush talked to God. He couldn't be a liberal. I'm so confused.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
between the Dems and Repubs and everyone else out there who has their side---it is amazing anything gets done!

Oh wait, hell no, nothing gets done does it?????

years and years
decades and decades of no change
bandaids on gaping wounds cause everyone is scared of real hardcore in your face change. sad big time!!

and look where we are?

It is shameful our country has not progressed!
I love her to death this country....but I am mad at the way we decide to run this nation!
I would defend her with every last breath, but again, I hang my head in shame when asked WHY we can not fix our problems???

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
I am going to re-visit the analogy about sharing one's canned produce. While all analogies are flawed by their nature, I think this one is particularly ill fitting. I will attempt to explain, in a few.

Now, it is my opinion that the reason we are arguing about rich vs. poor and tax rates is because the pay structure in our society is fundamentally flawed. Let me restate, that is my opinion. I have never understood why the people who are producing the food we eat, who arguably are the most essential and productive people in our society, are paid the least. They seem to work the hardest and be exposed to some nasty chemicals too. The pay is so cr@ppy that NO (or few) NATIVE BORN PEOPLE want to do this labor. We complain about illegal workers and yet we cry when our food costs rise. How does this make any sense? How is it that a banker who stands around all day and counts money makes more pay than a farm worker who breaks their back day in and day out for an arguably more fundamental job?

Well, it seems to me that in one form or another societies require slave labor in order to function. If you can't legally keep slaves . . . you turn to illegal immigrant workers.

Have you tried to grow all of your own food? Do you realize how near impossible it is? If you have tried you realize why our forefathers had slaves. Or children. ;)

So when you grow your own berries, for example, which is actually a pretty low labor-intensive crop to grow, and then you can them up . . . if you put that jar of preserves on the free market there is no way you would get paid more than slave wages for your efforts. That is why you darn well would not want to share it with your neighbor who sits on his couch popping cheese puffs in his mouth while you are out toiling in the field or working your butt off in the kitchen.

Rant over. ;)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
:D rants are great aren't they?

But rants are just that--rants

they don't solve anything! I know I have ranted alot..LOL

Of course our system is flawed.
Ban all illegals. Get them OFF the US free programs!!! Give those jobs to Americans. Let americans then fight for the rights for a good wage while being a laborer in the fields....and then the illegals would not suck off the govt. system...more money in the til for US citizens....then our "having to pay for all the illegals" that suck off the system, are then gone, and our money is active for our citizens....then our insurance and hosptial costs go down, our education costs go down, our welfare costs go down, our food stamp costs go down, (while our fodo cost might go up a bit to cover the good wages for laborer, we save elsewhere!!) our americans have jobs, and they can then afford food cause money is saved in other places.

While this is NOT all that needs to be done, this is not ALL of anything!!!!!
This just is to show real fast how easy it is to possibly fix some problems IF WE ATTACK other problems.

this is just a quick reply to say "we gotta change this crap"

Just because "it is" doesn't mean it has to stay this way!!!

Ahh...heck ranting is easier to make real and productive changes. I truly know!!

Latest posts