Occamstazer~Work hairdos and a blog you've got to read!

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Well my birds was showing weakness in the legs, staggering sometimes, kind of depressed but otherwise looking healthy. You wouldn't think about the legs being effected but according to the kidney association they are.
Kidney Disease
I remembered reading once that the character Tiny Tim in a Christmas Carol was supposed to have been suffering from kidney failure. Then I recalled how older horses sometimes experience kidney failure when they eat too much calcium rich alfalfa and there old bodies can't eliminate all of the extra calcium. So then I started to research that option. I am sure a chicken does not display all of the symptoms like a person would but still there are enough.

Plus - It does make sense. We load our hens up with the minerals because they produce eggs and shells at such a large rate they NEED all of that extra mineral. Poor roo eats it and it has no place to go. I penned my poor boy separate from the hens and started feeding him a low protein scratch mix and he DID improve. I eventually sent him to freezer camp however because I believe he had already suffered too much damage. I considered it lesson learned.

I have still very seldom seen any info about this kind of thing, which makes sense. Most studies are aimed at commercial laying flocks where there ARE no roosters or commercial broiler flocks where the chickens only live 40 days.

If I get roosters again I will NOT be feeding laying pellets to my hens while they are with the rooster. I will supplement with oyster shell and other free choice minerals.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I give free choice oyster shells to my ducks because of that. I don't want my drake to have kidney issues.

Occamstazer

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oh, BARF!
I am so done with factory farmed chicken. Josh and I bought two huge packs of chicken thighs today because they were 45 cents a pound.
I cooked them the way I often do, by rubbing the meat with mustard then dousing it in BBQ sauce and baking. I washed and dried the meat thoroughly before saucing and cooking.
Despite this, despite strong sauce flavors, it STILL stank like slaughterhouse! This always happens with grocery store chicken.
Barf. Ew.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Several years ago I gave a friend of mine a home grown chicken as a little gift. She had never eaten REAL chicken before and was pretty excited about giving it a try. She was going to do a nice little fried chicken for dinner.

Half way through the cooking she called me in a panic. "There is something the matter with the chicken!!", she said.

"What is wrong with it." I asked her.

"Well I am cooking the chicken now and there is no blood coming out of it. Normally when I fry the chicken it bleeds a bit in the hot pan."

Yuck. I had to explain to her that, that was just gross. Chicken should NOT smell like a slaughter house or drool out bloody residue into your cooking pan. The things the public has gotten used to eating. :sick Just disgusting!

Occamstazer

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
There is something in coffee that doesn't like me. I rarely drink it, but I've noticed that when I do, I feel icky later. It's not the caffeine, because I love tea and consume great quantities.

I thought surely I'm imagining this. So today I had a cup of coffee to get on the study wagon. Big mistake. My heart is racing, I'm kinda shaky, and I think if I stubbed my toe I'd probably cry for an hour.
Drinking some chamomile tea to try to chill. The nasty feeling will wear off in awhile, and I'll be fine. This is ridiculous! One cup of coffee!
Anyone else unable to stand coffee?

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I am addicted to coffee, but it really gets me the wrong way too...I get shaky, and get really paranoid when I drink too much of it. It is the cafeine I think, because tea doesn't have as much. I am okay with tea as well, but coffee is no good for me. I have cut down to helf decaf and it helps, but after two cups I am a crazy woman...I mean seriously if I drank a pot of it they would have to admit me...CHOCOLATE is even worse! Give me a chocolate bar and you'd be lucky to live till morning:>)

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I react almost like that with tea. I do NOT like coffee, so I really don't know about that. I drink Coke all of the time and it never effects me like that. I think the caffeine in different drinks must be different.