Odd one out urban farm- $25,000 fine for having animals in my yard!

dntd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I've been on sufficient self for a while and figured it is about time to start a journal of my urban farm crazies :ya

About me and my family:
I'm Tina and live in St.Catharines Ontario,always have. I love my city though I wish I could move to the country but due to my dh's disability that isn't possible. My house is a 2 story house with a new addition, we have a o.k sized back yard, though we will be using all open space for food and our chickens/rabbits. I am married to the best man on earth, we have 5 kids 13,10,8,7,4. 4 boys and the baby is our girl .

My pets/livestock

I have so many pets :bun
The pets I have are 2 cats, 1 dog, 2 turtles,2 cockatiels,2snakes,3 frogs,1 geckos,1 savannah monitor,2 bunnies,1 skink,hermit crabs,mountain horned dragon.

My livestock sort of are:
6 brown egg layers
5 newzealand meat rabbits
a coloney of dubia roaches(300 or so) soon will bring income and free feeder bugs for all of my lizards.

My job:
I don't have one, I'm attending an school and will be going through nursing, dh works though.

My ways I'm learning to be mare selfsufficient:
I enjoy canning, making my own picked veggings, jams,jellies,fruit
I bake
sew clothes for my dd and other odd items
we shop used or liquidated for things we need and can't make
I make my own soap
I'm learning to knit
I'm planting a huge garden this year, taking up almost all usable space
including planters
we build things rather then buy them, our rabbit hutch was made by hand building a large chicken coop and run in the spring
raising chickens for meat and eggs
raising rabbits for meat and fur(learning to tan in the summer)

I'll be updating this often as I'm always up to something neat:)
DSCF3006-1.jpg

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Cool, I love checking out the journals to see how everyone is progressing.

You can make money with roaches!?! I've lived in a couple of houses that would have made me a millionaire. If I had only known... :(

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Cool! I love it when new journals pop up!

I'm Aly, and I have five kids, too! tho they are a bit younger than yours, and my DD is the oldest with 4 boys after her.

I love the picture of your roo!

The YardFarmers

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Very nice intro to you and your projects.

I'm new here too. Your projects sound great and I look forward to your progress (if you have time!). I've been trying to teach myself to knit this year too.

YardFarmer Julie

What's the weather like where you are?

dntd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Right now it's wet, snow is falling but it's +1 so it's melting yuck!Roaches are the best feeder for many reptiles, best for geckos which are really popular right now, the downside is that many think it's illegal though it's still a gray area, I know we can't import. They go for .50+ a piece . Raised basically on scrap fruit and a bit of dog food, as are the feeder rats. Can't wait until spring:)