Office Visit Fee

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I've had various complaints about the vets around here, but I think I've found a few good ones.

My dog-shot vet (rabies) and license doesn't charge an office visit if you get shots. His price for shots and heartworm meds are reasonable -- meds are just over online prices.

My large animal vet is good if I just need to pick up simple meds. If he decides to let me have it w/out seeing the animal, I just pay per dose. Pretty reasonable. I have a small animal vet the same, to pick up meds. I just wish they'd trust me with more meds.

OTOH, the companion animal clinic in town quoted me almost $300 just for one tapeworm treatment for a dog and two cats. That included office visit charges and who knows what else. I got hold of the meds and did it myself for less than $20.

I'm living on a very low income. I want to give my animals the best care I can, but I simply can't afford to throw away money on fees. Yes, vets should get paid, and so should doctors. But in this part of the country, with businesses closing weekly in the tiny town, I don't think they are going to stay long with costs like that.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
k0xxx said:
Our vet charges $17 for the visit. We recently had another dog dropped off at our home (the only thing that I hate about living on this secluded road). We took it to our Vet to get him checked out physically, tested for heart worms and got him current on shots. Including a refill of medicine for our oldest dog, the bill was $60. No small amount, but nowhere near what most charge.

Anyone want healthy, vaccinated, young dog?
That visit would cost you about $250 here. Seriously. A farm call for a lame goat was $330, and the vet's professional opinion was :hu

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Call around to check vet prices. I found one that gives the first visit and all subsequent puppy shot visits free. You still pay for the shots and all other costs. After that they charge $40 per visit plus all other costs.

Our7Wonders

Power Conserver
Reaction score
In the past when we have a new pet we take them in for a good look over and their first shots - thereafter we did all the boosters ourselves. You can get the vacs at most feed stores and do them yourself for $5 to $10. Every 5 years we have to give rabies and only a vet can do that for us so I call around until I find a vet that will do it without the need for an exam.

We don't vaccinate annually anymore since our dogs don't roam about. We vaccinate only when it's required - on the rare occasion that we need to board them at the local kennel if we travel.

We do use a vet if we have an illness or an injury that's beyond the scope of our ability and I expect an office charge then, I just prefer NOT to pay a vet (or a doctor for myself or my family) to tell me I have a healthy critter and keep doing what I'm already doing.

Blue Skys

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
At my vet they only charge an exam fee if a doctor actually exams the pet. If you only want boosters they will charge for the shot and a small fee for giving it, but way less than an exam, likewise with any bloodwork or anything, if a doctor doesn't examine the animal a tech draws blood or whatever we may be there for and there is a smaller fee.

I would give my dog the booster myself, especially since you already had the pup checked over and it's healthy, nothing has changed in a month. It's silly to pay that fee. I realize they have a business to run, but I'm more likely to go back to their business if they don't nickel and dime me.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I give the cat, dogs, horses, goats etc all my own shots. I just thought I would try the small animal vet for ease....no ease there, just alot of money spent haha

oh well, as with anything, those prices will always scare and empty your wallet :lol:

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
I love my vet and will pay whatever she wants. Fortunately she is not only reasonable she is wonderful. My dog loves to go to the vets office. When we arrive he can't wait to go in. The staff is great too.

In my area vets charge 50 upwards for an office visit plus whatever else they can talk you into. Don't take after hours calls, you have to go to the Animal Hospital ER for after hours and pay $200 bucks just to walk through the door. I don't even want to know what one would charge for a house call, most probably don't make them. But not my vet. She takes after hours calls, will meet you at her office and her charges are reasonable. A 1 a.m. emergency with a sick dog cost me 160.00. That included x-rays and meds. Her charge for a house call is 80.00. I LOVE her and her entire staff.

(Did I mention, I LOVE MY VET)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
A 1 a.m. emergency with a sick dog cost me 160.00. That included x-rays and meds.

ya know 2dream
that is reasonable for the care and tests at 1 am actually

I paid $117 for a 10 min. office visit, 1 pup booster shot, 1 flea application stuff and a "free puppy first visit bag, full of rawhides and pamplets that I didn't want "

yes girl I hear ya--YOU LOVE YOUR VET haha
actually that is great. This vet (lady) was nice, but I didn't love her :gig

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
2dream said:
Her charge for a house call is 80.00.
Wow. I'm a massage therapist and I charge WAY more than that for a house call!!! :lol:

Could be why I don't do too many of them.... :p

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Karen you gotta focus on the up side. You picked dog that weighs what 4 pounds.

All meds / heart worm/ frontline are done by weight. My dog weighs about 100lbs. do the math. Your coming out ahead.

Did you go to the vet at 1am? What the heck was wrong? I hope your little guy is ok.

g