Official Poll: What are the products that you make/produce at home?

What are the products that you make/produce at home?

• Home-made hygiene essentials (toothpaste, shampoo, hair gel)

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Home-made cleaners (laundry soap, dishwashing liquid, detergents, etc)

Votes: 16 53.3%
  • Meat

Votes: 13 43.3%
  • Eggs

Votes: 21 70.0%
  • Milk

Votes: 5 16.7%
  • Fruits/Veggies

Votes: 27 90.0%
  • Jams/Marmalades

Votes: 18 60.0%
  • Others

Votes: 14 46.7%

• Total voters

Support

Almost Self-Reliant
Administrator
Reaction score
As a self-sufficient person, we know that you try to produce or make as many products as possible to meet your daily needs. It could be as simple as making your own jams or as complicated as making your own soaps and detergents.

Please take a minute to complete this poll and tell us what products you make or produce yourself.

If your answer isn't listed, you can vote for "Others" and reply to this thread with your answers.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Besides making our own toothpaste and deodorant, laundry detergent and other household cleaners, eggs, garden and mini orchard, and jams, I also do some wild foraging and make medicinal preparations from plants both wild and domestic. The list of what I still WANT to do is much much longer, lol!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Same here! It would be so much easier if I had my own land, but that's still just a dream.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
So far I've only made jams, grown fruit and veggies and raised animals and chickens for meat and eggs. I would like to try my hand at making soap sometime and other household products, but I need to get more organised first!

Support

Almost Self-Reliant
Administrator
Reaction score
Besides making our own toothpaste and deodorant, laundry detergent and other household cleaners, eggs, garden and mini orchard, and jams, I also do some wild foraging and make medicinal preparations from plants both wild and domestic. The list of what I still WANT to do is much much longer, lol!

Wow, I wish I could try and be successful too at laundry detergent making. ;)

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
In addition to that, my family and I hunt for game. We also buy in bulk, and have a good food storage laid back. I cook like crazy from scratch and save lots of money. 90% of our canned items (fruits, vegetables, meats, jams, jellies, etc.) are grown, raised, or cheaply acquired (beef, potatoes, apples). I'm really wanting to get a dairy source, but I just barely am able to do what I do because of land.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I would love to hunt for game... successfully. lol.
Sorta sounds like all of us together just might equal one pioneer woman, lol

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
My sister is the true hunter. She has luck and skill at the same time. I don't have any luck lol.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I have neither luck nor skill. We just startled a wild rabbit on our farm when we went to pick spinach. By the time I recovered from the shock the thing was 100 yards away and still running. Not a hunter, me. Nope.

@TwoCrows What do you make/produce?

TwoCrows

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I am not a hunter either, although I am a crack shot with a rifle! Just can't get myself to take a life unless it is suffering. :)

I make a lot of breads, jellies and pastries. Can't you tell by my big butt?! Ha! I didn't do a garden this year for the first time in decades. Our drought is so severe and our well pump can't take the abuse I put it through last year. So I can't can this year. :-( But I love to put up the veggies! I tried making pasta once, but it was a disaster. :hide

My hubby likes to stretch things around here and one thing we do is take liquid hand soap and water it down and put it in a foam pump dispenser. Wow, a bottle of hand soap goes for EVER! He claims we have saved hundreds of dollars on soap! LOL

Oh! We used to fish farm!!! Trout ponds. Wow, was it nice to have fresh home grown fish! But it was a lot of work and got to be too much. The fish kept jumping out too and the Ravens would hang around and eat them. :lol:

I like to sprout alfalfa. I always have a jar around sprouting seeds. We make salads out of them. And the poultry love them too!

I like to sew and used to make a lot of clothing, curtains and other assorting things. My machine is getting old and needs some repair. So I haven't done much with that late.

Oh, we produce some electricity. When we lived in the RV for a few years, we were totally solar. Loved it! But when we moved in here, we didn't have the cash to convert the entire place. But we do have solar panels that do various things. Right now the only one doing anything is the panel that aerates our septic system. We have another that charges batteries and other small items. We have several propane generators that can charge things or run the house if need be.

I think that is about it on what we produce. I would love to be able to do more and be more independent. We have done other stuff in the past. But for right now, this is all we are doing. :)