Official Poll: What are the products that you make/produce at home?

What are the products that you make/produce at home?

• Home-made hygiene essentials (toothpaste, shampoo, hair gel)

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Home-made cleaners (laundry soap, dishwashing liquid, detergents, etc)

Votes: 16 53.3%
  • Meat

Votes: 13 43.3%
  • Eggs

Votes: 21 70.0%
  • Milk

Votes: 5 16.7%
  • Fruits/Veggies

Votes: 27 90.0%
  • Jams/Marmalades

Votes: 18 60.0%
  • Others

Votes: 14 46.7%

• Total voters

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We live in town on a small lot. I have hens in the back yard and a garden in the front. I can, dehydrate, freeze and make jelly. I butcher old hens and the occasional rooster from straight run chick purchases. I butchered 7 chickens a few days ago and canned 21 pints of broth. I picked the meat off the bones and froze it.

We'll be moving 160 miles north at the end of the year on some acreage. I'll plant fruit and nut trees, grapes, berries and a BIG garden!

Miss Lydia

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I like to use white vinegar and Baking soda to clean toilets foams up and cleans any stains in there.
Also 35 % hydrogen peroxide mixed with water makes a great mouth wash.

I made my own laundry detergent but after I got my HD washer was worried it might not work too well in it so stopped making it.

You can make a nice butter spread using Olive oil and butter it spreads so nice. 1cup of olive oil to 1lb of butter mixed in food processor.

Air freshner, I use lavender essential oil and water in a spray bottle so nice to spray pillows with it.

pepper48_98

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I raise all my meat, beef, pork, chicken, and goat. I didn't do very good with the garden this year. I am going to do a fall garden if things go as planned. With the heat we are having this summer I am going to cover it with black plastic and try and kill out the grass or put the chickens on it for a while.

Miss Lydia

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We raise chickens and ducks for eggs and occasionally process extra roosters, also have geese for the yard work. Their eggs are yummy too, seems either it's been to hot and dry for gardening or too wet we have been on the wet side again this year. But so far the tomatoes and peppers are doing pretty good in spite of it.

Miss Lydia

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I raise all my meat, beef, pork, chicken, and goat. I didn't do very good with the garden this year. I am going to do a fall garden if things go as planned. With the heat we are having this summer I am going to cover it with black plastic and try and kill out the grass or put the chickens on it for a while.
Do you do your own butchering also?

pepper48_98

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I took the calf and pigs to a butcher but do the rest myself.

JonahArpi

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I am not a hunter either, although I am a crack shot with a rifle! Just can't get myself to take a life unless it is suffering. :)

I make a lot of breads, jellies and pastries. Can't you tell by my big butt?! Ha! I didn't do a garden this year for the first time in decades. Our drought is so severe and our well pump can't take the abuse I put it through last year. So I can't can this year. :-( But I love to put up the veggies! I tried making pasta once, but it was a disaster. :hide

My hubby likes to stretch things around here and one thing we do is take liquid hand soap and water it down and put it in a foam pump dispenser. Wow, a bottle of hand soap goes for EVER! He claims we have saved hundreds of dollars on soap! LOL

Oh! We used to fish farm!!! Trout ponds. Wow, was it nice to have fresh home grown fish! But it was a lot of work and got to be too much. The fish kept jumping out too and the Ravens would hang around and eat them. :lol:

I like to sprout alfalfa. I always have a jar around sprouting seeds. We make salads out of them. And the poultry love them too!

I like to sew and used to make a lot of clothing, curtains and other assorting things. My machine is getting old and needs some repair. So I haven't done much with that late.

Oh, we produce some electricity. When we lived in the RV for a few years, we were totally solar. Loved it! But when we moved in here, we didn't have the cash to convert the entire place. But we do have solar panels that do various things. Right now the only one doing anything is the panel that aerates our septic system. We have another that charges batteries and other small items. We have several propane generators that can charge things or run the house if need be.

I think that is about it on what we produce. I would love to be able to do more and be more independent. We have done other stuff in the past. But for right now, this is all we are doing. :)
I think you have the right system to meet power demands.. Well I am very much impressed and would love to have similar system..

Last edited:

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I'm working on all of the above, and would love to go solar....eventually.

Latest posts