Official Poll - What is the best foodstuff to stockpile in case of emergency?

What are the best food items to stockpile in case of emergency?

• Dried beans, legumes, rice, pasta

Votes: 21 80.8%
  • Nuts and trail mixes

Votes: 7 26.9%
  • Breakfast cereal

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Granola bars and power bars

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Dried fruits, such as apricots and raisins

Votes: 15 57.7%
  • Canned meat, vegetables and ready meals

Votes: 18 69.2%
  • Powdered milk

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • Honey

Votes: 11 42.3%
  • Bottled water

Votes: 13 50.0%
  • Sports drinks, such as Gatorade or Powerade

Votes: 1 3.8%

• Total voters

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I live in the tiniest town but we have two ethnic markets surprisingly enough. I was a two hour drive away in a large town talking to a salesperson and when we told him where we live he said he goes to our Asian market once or twice a month to buy groceries. To say I was surprised was an understatement. At either the Asian market or Mexican market I get onions for a dollar less a pound than any of the chain stores in town (there are two). When I go to a large city, 50 miles away I go to a place called Aldi's where I get a lot of good deals. I highly recommend it. This really isn't the thread to discuss this however. Maybe I will start my own frugal living thread. I could call it Linda's Journey to Saving Money or Cheap, Cheap, Cheapskate!, lol.

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We have an Aldi's a few miles from where we live in PA. They do have great deals. For no one who has ever been at an Aldi's, they have a limited selection, but what they have is priced well. Don't expect a fancy store or even bags at the check out. Bring your own!

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
...and don't forget a quarter for the shopping cart. I get eggs there for at least half the price of our local stores. I will 6 dozens at a time for as low as .69 cents/dozen. Produce usually is priced good too.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've never heard of it! I bet they don't come close to northern New England.

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
...and don't forget a quarter for the shopping cart. I get eggs there for at least half the price of our local stores. I will 6 dozens at a time for as low as .69 cents/dozen. Produce usually is priced good too.

LOL...I didn't mention the 25 cent deposit for the cart so you return it to the cart area. I thought maybe that was just at our Aldi's. I have seen kids asking if people would like them to return their cart for them...their tip...the 25 cents.

https://www.aldi.us/

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Cool I had no idea! Still an hour and a half to Manchester but if I'm ever down there I'll have to check it out.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
There is actually a salt mine in a town near us. I wonder if we could go buy salt directly from the mine? I think it's owned by Morton's.

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I was just reading "15 Things You’ll Regret Not Having Enough of When SHTF" from askaprepper.com, and Number 4 is Salt.

It seems silly, but salt has a multitude of uses. You can use it in standard fashion to season your food, you can use it in pickling vegetables and drying meat, you can use it as an attractant for wild game, as a supplement for live stock, to make a mouth rinse. It is cheap, compact, and it lasts a lot longer than you will! The shelf life of salt has yet to be determined since none of it has ever gone bad!

If anyone wants to read the entire article, it can be found at: http://www.askaprepper.com/things-regret-nothaving-enough-when-shtf/

Latest posts