Official Poll - What is the best foodstuff to stockpile in case of emergency?

What are the best food items to stockpile in case of emergency?

• Dried beans, legumes, rice, pasta

Votes: 21 80.8%
  • Nuts and trail mixes

Votes: 7 26.9%
  • Breakfast cereal

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Granola bars and power bars

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Dried fruits, such as apricots and raisins

Votes: 15 57.7%
  • Canned meat, vegetables and ready meals

Votes: 18 69.2%
  • Powdered milk

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • Honey

Votes: 11 42.3%
  • Bottled water

Votes: 13 50.0%
  • Sports drinks, such as Gatorade or Powerade

Votes: 1 3.8%

• Total voters

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well you will survive the zombie apocalypse for sure! :lol:

But seriously it is interesting, the jump from pure stockpiling to living a true "survival" and self sufficient lifestyle. Not that one is good or bad, but it is interesting.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I was joking about zombies. But I seriously think it's awesome that you know how to do all of those things. And I do find it amusing when they make lists of things that you should have anyway.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm sorry if I sounded dismissive. I actually do tremendously value your input as I feel that you are one of the most experienced people on here and I've really enjoyed reading what you have to offer. I get overwhelmed sometimes because I am in the early stages of learning and I have a lot todo to "catch up". I probably shouldn't comment when I'm distracted because it sounds like I'm not interested.

I know the zombie thing is silly and obviously isn't going to happen. I don't watch much TV but I do like zombie movies. Can't help it!

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm with you, @Beekissed about the zombies, and find America's obsession with all-things-zombie rather strange. But, that's why Baskin-Robbins makes 31 flavors...different tastes! ;)

As far as that article, I would never store dog food or dog meds. Even until we had to put our dog down last week, she never ate dog food. We cooked plain chicken or beef and supplemented it with plenty of fresh veggies and fruit. We did use a flea and tick preparation.

I recently purchased a book called THE SUVIVAL MEDICINE HANDBOOK - THE ESSENTIAL GUIDE FOR WHEN MEDICAL HELP IS NOT ON THE WAY by Joseph and Amy Alton. I read several sources that said it is probably the best source for learning about survival medicine, and I have a lot to learn. I do plan on purchasing some essential antibiotics and a few other medications "just in case". Yes, they may only really be potent for a year or two, so I can always replace them, but at least they will be on hand in case needed. I also want to learn more about treating with essential oils and herbs, but learning all this is not an overnight task.

Candles...no, wouldn't waste my time. A few crank flashlights and a few solar lanterns instead. Same with the fire extinguishers. Like the moving blankets.

One thing to remember when talking about survival whether it be for a few days, a few weeks or an indefinite period of time, depending on the scenario...you can't always depend on stockpiling. Of course staying where you are may be an option, but what do you do if you have to leave your place as might be the case in a natural disaster or civil unrest. You won't be able to carry all this stockpiled stuff on your back, and your garden and animals will not be providing food for you. What are you going to do then?

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I was just reading "15 Things You’ll Regret Not Having Enough of When SHTF" from askaprepper.com, and Number 4 is Salt.
I like reading articles like this. Of all the things on the list I would probably want the salt. As far as the prepper or homesteading angle, I'm thinking yes have a storage of a few foods and supplies but better to know how to grow, build, make goods rather than plan on eating or using from a stockpile forever. Basic medicines, antibiotics, beans, rice and a way to treat water supply. I have three ponds and a well on our property. Right now I'm thinking filtering the water throw cloth, boiling it and running it through our Brita will do the job as far as taste and health. But of course you need a place to cook and have heat.

If anyone wants to read the entire article, it can be found at: http://www.askaprepper.com/things-regret-nothaving-enough-when-shtf/

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Speaking of zombies I remember when Rosario filtered dirty water in a soda bottle of sand and gravel. I don't really think that would kill zombie germs or bacteria, lol. I'm a big Walking Dead fan I guess you can tell.

Latest posts