1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Donation Requests - Support Sumi's Health Recovery Fund - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Official Poll - What is the best foodstuff to stockpile in case of emergency?

Discussion in 'Official SS Contests, Polls, Etc.' started by sumi, Mar 26, 2016.

?

What are the best food items to stockpile in case of emergency?

1. Dried beans, legumes, rice, pasta

20 vote(s)
    83.3%
  2. Nuts and trail mixes

5 vote(s)
    20.8%
  3. Breakfast cereal

1 vote(s)
    4.2%
  4. Granola bars and power bars

3 vote(s)
    12.5%
  5. Dried fruits, such as apricots and raisins

13 vote(s)
    54.2%
  6. Canned meat, vegetables and ready meals

16 vote(s)
    66.7%
  7. Powdered milk

5 vote(s)
    20.8%
  8. Honey

10 vote(s)
    41.7%
  9. Bottled water

11 vote(s)
    45.8%
  10. Sports drinks, such as Gatorade or Powerade

1 vote(s)
    4.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Oct 8, 2016
    baymule

baymule Sustainability Master

I read that, it's a good article.

2. Oct 8, 2016
    NH Homesteader

NH Homesteader Super Self-Sufficient

Well you will survive the zombie apocalypse for sure! :lol:

But seriously it is interesting, the jump from pure stockpiling to living a true "survival" and self sufficient lifestyle. Not that one is good or bad, but it is interesting.

3. Oct 8, 2016
    NH Homesteader

I was joking about zombies. But I seriously think it's awesome that you know how to do all of those things. And I do find it amusing when they make lists of things that you should have anyway.

4. Oct 8, 2016
    NH Homesteader

I'm sorry if I sounded dismissive. I actually do tremendously value your input as I feel that you are one of the most experienced people on here and I've really enjoyed reading what you have to offer. I get overwhelmed sometimes because I am in the early stages of learning and I have a lot todo to "catch up". I probably shouldn't comment when I'm distracted because it sounds like I'm not interested.

I know the zombie thing is silly and obviously isn't going to happen. I don't watch much TV but I do like zombie movies. Can't help it!

5. Oct 8, 2016
    MoonShadows

MoonShadows Almost Self-Reliant

I'm with you, @Beekissed about the zombies, and find America's obsession with all-things-zombie rather strange. But, that's why Baskin-Robbins makes 31 flavors...different tastes! ;)

As far as that article, I would never store dog food or dog meds. Even until we had to put our dog down last week, she never ate dog food. We cooked plain chicken or beef and supplemented it with plenty of fresh veggies and fruit. We did use a flea and tick preparation.

I recently purchased a book called THE SUVIVAL MEDICINE HANDBOOK - THE ESSENTIAL GUIDE FOR WHEN MEDICAL HELP IS NOT ON THE WAY by Joseph and Amy Alton. I read several sources that said it is probably the best source for learning about survival medicine, and I have a lot to learn. I do plan on purchasing some essential antibiotics and a few other medications "just in case". Yes, they may only really be potent for a year or two, so I can always replace them, but at least they will be on hand in case needed. I also want to learn more about treating with essential oils and herbs, but learning all this is not an overnight task.

Candles...no, wouldn't waste my time. A few crank flashlights and a few solar lanterns instead. Same with the fire extinguishers. Like the moving blankets.

One thing to remember when talking about survival whether it be for a few days, a few weeks or an indefinite period of time, depending on the scenario...you can't always depend on stockpiling. Of course staying where you are may be an option, but what do you do if you have to leave your place as might be the case in a natural disaster or civil unrest. You won't be able to carry all this stockpiled stuff on your back, and your garden and animals will not be providing food for you. What are you going to do then?

6. Oct 9, 2016
    lcertuche

lcertuche Almost Self-Reliant

7. Oct 9, 2016
    lcertuche

lcertuche Almost Self-Reliant

Speaking of zombies I remember when Rosario filtered dirty water in a soda bottle of sand and gravel. I don't really think that would kill zombie germs or bacteria, lol. I'm a big Walking Dead fan I guess you can tell.

8. Oct 9, 2016
    frustratedearthmother

frustratedearthmother Sustainability Master

9. Oct 9, 2016
    NH Homesteader

10. Oct 9, 2016
    frustratedearthmother

frustratedearthmother Sustainability Master