1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Donation Requests - Support Sumi's Health Recovery Fund - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Official Poll - What is the best foodstuff to stockpile in case of emergency?

Discussion in 'Official SS Contests, Polls, Etc.' started by sumi, Mar 26, 2016.

?

What are the best food items to stockpile in case of emergency?

1. Dried beans, legumes, rice, pasta

20 vote(s)
    83.3%
  2. Nuts and trail mixes

5 vote(s)
    20.8%
  3. Breakfast cereal

1 vote(s)
    4.2%
  4. Granola bars and power bars

3 vote(s)
    12.5%
  5. Dried fruits, such as apricots and raisins

13 vote(s)
    54.2%
  6. Canned meat, vegetables and ready meals

16 vote(s)
    66.7%
  7. Powdered milk

5 vote(s)
    20.8%
  8. Honey

10 vote(s)
    41.7%
  9. Bottled water

11 vote(s)
    45.8%
  10. Sports drinks, such as Gatorade or Powerade

1 vote(s)
    4.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Oct 10, 2016
    Mini Horses

Mini Horses Super Self-Sufficient

Knowing how to do &/or having a book to guide you is really important, IMO. I have a great "do your own" house repair book and it is priceless. In general I may know what needs to be done but, this tells me! Same with some of the herbal meds, old homesteading ways -- good to know, good to have a reference -- we can't remember it all.

Today I have spent, practicing what you preach -- hurricane Mathew came thru yesterday with 40-50MPH winds from every direction, dropped over 12" of rain in 24 hrs, and power was out from 3AM until 7PM today. Soooooo, winds still 30+ @ 6AM and rain almost stopped, but I did not want to have to roll the heavy generator over 150' of water soaked ground to the meter to plug in. Besides, I thought we'd get power "soon". So, morning coffee was a need! Thought I'd just drive to McD and get some. What was I thinking??!!:idunno:p Roads about 1 mile out in either direction were full engulfed in running water, about a foot deep. A couple houses further were sitting in a lake, I could see them -- I am the high point on my road, no issues with that flooding problem, just that I couldn't leave. Back home. Go to the upstairs storage and get a can of Safe Heat, a chafing dish heat. Set that and the little pedestal, put a pot on there, heated water. Used a cone coffee filter with grounds, set in cup and poured water! Nice. Had cooked a large pot of apples before going to bed, that was about 2:30AM (no sleeping with all the NOISE).....they were still warm. Some fresh French bread rounded it out. Went ALL DAY without power, not fun but, ok. Had plenty of what I needed. Left refers closed to stay cold -- all just fine! Animals were all good, blowing wind & rain had some wet areas not normally in the barns/coops but, no "problems".:clap We were ALL glad it was over, didn't want any more! Wet, wet, wet!!! Will catch up on news @ 10 to see how area fared. Have had some input on flooded sections. I'm home, safe, animals safe, and power for tonight!!! YEAH, don't have to move the generator back & forth. Will move it to the garage area for winter -- then it can be rolled in/out to start & run every month to be sure all ok and there's a concrete walk to the meter, so easier to move -- even if I have to shovel snow off first! Ahhhh... last night, while still had power, I did remember to put the candles & matches out & together, in case....and kept a small flashlight with me, easier to navigate a midnight with light, right? :old

OH -- didn't have to worry about filling any water troughs today. All done by Mathew. only help he gave me. :lol:

2. Oct 10, 2016
    NH Homesteader

NH Homesteader Super Self-Sufficient

I didn't realize you were from that area. Glad you made out pretty well! A day of no power isn't fun though, and I don't manage well without coffee. Good thinking there!

3. Oct 10, 2016
    frustratedearthmother

frustratedearthmother Sustainability Master

Glad to hear you made out ok - even though a day with no power isn't a lot of fun. How many times did you flip a light switch expecting it to come on? I couldn't tell you how many times I do that when we don't have power...it's such a habit.

4. Oct 10, 2016
    Mini Horses

Mini Horses Super Self-Sufficient

I was certain when the power came on that EVERY light would be on!!!! YES -- each time you walk into a room :lol:

Worse part -- NO internet. Really, just bugged me.

Yep, I'm 50 miles inland from VA Beach & 12 miles N of the NC state line.

5. Oct 10, 2016
    baymule

baymule Sustainability Master

I can identify with that. Living in hurricane country most of my life and going weeks and weeks with out power isn't a lot of fun. I am so glad we moved.

6. Oct 10, 2016
    NH Homesteader

NH Homesteader Super Self-Sufficient

My daughter was born during Hurricane Sandy. My husband almost missed it because he had to run home and get the animals locked up and make sure the house was set.

We were the only ones in the whole birthing wing, it was awesome. Also the hospital generators were awesome because no one else had power! We brought our daughter home to no power, we had a couple trees down. The day we left everyone went into labor and the place was packed. Funny how that works.

7. Oct 20, 2017
    Kidgoat

Kidgoat Power Conserver

I would probably get
    cereal
    granola bars
    dried fruit
    canned meat,vegtables,ready emal.
    honey
    sports drinks
    bread
    wood,for my wood stove!