Official Poll : What project are you planning to start this 2016?

Official Poll : What project are you planning to start this 2016?

• Growing my own vegetables

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Growing my own fruits

• Growing my own fruits and vegetables

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Raising my own meat

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Canning my own food

• Preserving food

• Making soap or household cleaners

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Start your own income-generating activities

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • Others (Please specify)

Votes: 3 15.0%

• Total voters

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Your beehive project is so cool....kinda like a science project with a sweet result! Hope your apple trees don't get frostbite!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Nah...apple trees do well in the cold. They'd have to be fully blossomed out and it would have to be much, much colder and more sustained before it would affect them here. Of course, that often depends on the location of the orchard and how the land lies around it if the blossoms will get burnt.

I think I'll go ahead and extend this little hive out to make it a long body hive while I'm mid construction. It's the perfect opportunity to work on it to get it the way I want it now. I'd rather expand a hive sideways rather than upward...I'm too old to be lifting around on supers.

I'm thinking about incorporating some styrofoam...they are selling hive bodies made entirely of SF now, which keeps the bees cooler in summer and warmer in winter. I expect they need a lot of ventilation, though, to keep the humidity down as they can't breathe like wood does.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
We're supposed to get a freeze tomorrow tonight. There are a lot of peach orchards in the area and they're fully bloomed. I'm praying for wind. Otherwise, the farmers may lose their crop.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Still working on the hive but making progress. Turning it into a long body hive now, so the design had to be tweaked a bit. Getting near the end, though, so there's light at the end of the hive box. :D

I've seen more bees this month than I've seen in the past 5 yrs here, so that's a good sign. I'm hoping I'll get this done before they take a notion to swarm. These are all truly wild bees...small and darker than domestic bees. I'm thinking the hive is nearby as they seem to really be visiting our place a good bit for food.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've noticed more bees this year also. Last year I swear I didn't see nary a bee. Hopefully, they're making a comeback. Good luck with your hive! Someday I might give it a try, but too many irons in the fire right now.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Got the bee hive completed~for better or for worse~and placed where I wanted it. It's leveled in all ways, used a compass to line up the frames/bars with the north/south direction, the area was doused to determine a location close to a geomagnetic line and it's been baited with a few drops of lemongrass and then a beeswax/honey cake rubbed in the hive.

Can't do any more than that. Making a hive quilt for the top "board"~just burlap and shavings~ and will place that as soon as I can.

I know it's not quality work, but it's mine and it was done on the super cheap, it's sturdy and it was fun to make. The yard sale nightstand/bee hive project, using modified Lang mediums(took the bottom of the frames off) with a wedge guide for half of the frames and top bars for the rest. I've got it ventilated a little like a Warre and will be using a burlap hive quilt on top of the bars.

LL

LL

LL

LL

First 2016 new spring project is done....praying it actually draws in a local wild bee swarm.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Nice! I think it looks just as good as the hives I see around here.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Thank you!! That front of the box only cost $4 at a yardsale and the rest was just some few pieces of raw lumber bought cheaply and some things I had on hand, plus some flashing for the roof. Even with the price of the Lang frames I bought online, it's a mere fraction of the cost of ready made hives. That's the part I love the most!

Latest posts