Official Poll : What project are you planning to start this 2016?

Official Poll : What project are you planning to start this 2016?

• Growing my own vegetables

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Growing my own fruits

• Growing my own fruits and vegetables

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Raising my own meat

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Canning my own food

• Preserving food

• Making soap or household cleaners

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Start your own income-generating activities

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • Others (Please specify)

Votes: 3 15.0%

• Total voters

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
When I eventually get my own farm, I want bees. I just don't want to do it here. The neighbors may not appreciate it.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well, I'm having "issues" with boiling eggs to just feed pigs! I know, it's less expensive but...feel like as sort of traitor to the hens!! LOL. No issue with dumping xtra milk. I'm working thru it but, just seems so "wasteful" of these perfect eggs. Weird.

Now, garden extras, meal scraps, etc. don't bother me.

Myhouseisazoo2

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well I've a few things planned this year, already started my meat rabbits got my first litter about to go for process. So we'll have our first fully homeraise meatmeals soon, working on getting a job change for better revenue so that I can meet my other goals (such as turning my entire front yard into a garden and starting a small-scale aquaponics system) started making things for Twinnie to sell on Etsy and am trying to learn a few new skills such as: embroidery, sharpening knives and tanning hides properly, making my own clothing correctly and I'm interested in attempting graphing for fruit trees.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
There is nothing quite like sitting down to a meal and knowing that you provided ALL of it.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yes!! ALL home grown.

I was considering trip bucks to butcher last yr -- one day I found myself saying I could sell them, at a feed store, and some guy bought them!:eek: He picked them up about an hr later....I was sort of relieved in an odd way and pocketed the $$$.

This year I was blessed with 7 bucklings. :ep One I plan to keep...cute little 5th gen mini nub. But, one set of bucklings are full Nub and are just BIG. 3 months & look 6. Since I have found a private owned slaughter house fairly close, I am thinking this will be the year I butcher. Other 4 will be sold. The 4 doelings are here and will remain for a "while".....

Now I need to collect goat meat recipes. Used to eat rabbit, squirrel & venison but, not in a while. I have a real hard time with processing the rabbits....cuteness thing. Can do chickens. 2 hens sitting so will prob be having a processing session this summer. Been a long time.

Myhouseisazoo2

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I love goat stew and goat jerky :love
We took a goat to a butcher when I was in high school (FFa project) and they offered for an extra price to jerky stick a bunch of it. Expensive but worth it in my opinion:love

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Goat roast in the crock pot with rosemary and red wine, lots of onions and garlic, a few potatoes and carrots - yummmmyyyy!!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
OK -- ya'll jumped right on that recipe thing. Sure don't want those goats to see this.:hide What did you all do with the chops/ribs, etc? Or, were they young and you just used it without specific cuts? I like lamb chops!! Believe I could make those little chops taste great...I use garlic & oil for my lamb to braise, then deglaze with wine. Very nice taste. Sometimes throw mushrooms in there.

These guys will be size of young lamb, just longer legs. :idunno
I expect this to be some good meat. They're pretty fleshy as the mom is the chunkier type body, dad is about 185#! I'm thinking I'll wether & run on heavy pasture/woods until late summer. 6-8 mos old.

Pigs going soon.... this was mid sept
091615AGH2piglets.jpg

this is yesterday...
farm animals 005.JPG

notice, same fence panels. LOL.....American Guinea Hogs