Official Poll: What's your favorite/most useful natural remedy?

What's your favorite/most useful natural remedy?

• arnica drops and spray for achy spots/bruises

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • chamomile for anxiety

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Honey, onion and garlic syrup for cough

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • Aloe Vera gel for insect bites

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • cinnamon used to gently reduce congestion and phlegm in the lungs, and dry up runny noses

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Cloves to calm bloating and flatulence

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ginger for ausea and digestive complaints

Votes: 11 37.9%
  • Others (please specify)

Votes: 14 48.3%

• Total voters

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Never tried vinegar for that. I harvest nettle regularly for tea and invariably I get a few stings, so next time I will try the vinegar. ACV or does any type work?

I just grabbed the white vinegar since it was in the bathroom and I use it for cleaning. The only ACV I have is the Braggs stuff in small bottles for consumption. Apparently Mom knew that vinegar worked because Grandma always used it when she was growing up and they'd get into nettles in the field on accident.

I love steamed nettles. Just a bit of butter on them and I'm happy.

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thyme and rosemary! I discovered their healing benefits last fall when I came down with some awful skin rashes. Nothing OTC seemed to touch them, so I started experimenting with other things. I did some research on herbal remedies, and as I was already growing thyme and rosemary, I made a batch each of steeped herbs. I would apply the cooled liquid every time I went to the ladies room. It took a while to heal, but they healed. Now I grow extra containers of those herbs.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Hi Moxie! Long time no see.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
For immediate, in-the-field relief of stinging nettle crush some Jewel Weed and rub it on the stings. Jewel Weed usually grows right next to stinging nettle - I have only seen one nettle patch without any jewelweed growing right next to it and that is in my yard. :\
It is also called Touch-Me-Not. That name comes from when the ripe seed pods are lightly touched the seeds explode outward.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My "other" vote is for a spoonful of honey taken for a sore throat, not very creative I know but that is all I got for now.

Support

Almost Self-Reliant
Administrator
Reaction score
Great input guys!

Hoosier Grandpa

Frugally lurking
Reaction score
Not "news" to many I am sure but recently talking with some younger locals I discovered that few, if any, appreciate the sterling quality of good ol' table salt. Mouth sores/infections are gotten under control with repeated rinse of warm (preferred but cold works) salt water. I cannot count the money I've saved with such from a hereditary disease. For decades I rinsed with salt water at first sign of oral complications but in the past few years I simply use it as a mouth wash before bed time after brushing. Sadly I cannot save my teeth and as soon as a financial incident occurs dentures are my only option but the salt water rinse has saved me much in both pain and funds. Having spent the money for a dentist apt (often requiring days of waiting) and the combined cost of antibiotics it became quickly obvious that a salt water rinse was cheap and......Always available. The same in cracks in the concrete where weeds grow or any other place you don't want ANYTHING to grow, will do exactly that. Kill everything. The germ killing and dehydrating traits of salt leave the door wide open for it's uses but as an anti-bacterial mouthwash it has no equal in effectiveness and cost. God Bless

goatgurl

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
going to have to remember to try the castor oil. the jewel weed is also great to use on a poison ivy rash. i use lavender oil for poison ivy too. stops the itch and after just a few applications dries it up.