Ohio Livestock Standards of Care - affects milking goats

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oh that's sad :( My goats have heat and dry bedding. Although they do go potty on it :/

ohiogoatgirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
THIS IS ABSOLUTELY REDICULOUS!!!!!!!!!

should we keep our goats in the house and toilet train them too?!
what a bunch of %&!@$#%%$&&^(&^#$@#!@ !!!!!!!!!!! :barnie :he :th :rant :somad :tongue

*stops to breathe*

what a load of bull!!!! i tell you what, big brother is waaay nosier then chickens....
i'll keep my goats hidden on the back of the farm (250 acres) before i settle for that!!!

i dont mean to sound like a nut here but... the you know what is hitting the fan!!! and i for one am not going to sell out to greedy big brother!!!

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Quite frankly, if govt had the brains of a chicken, we would be better off.

Who wants to round up their chickens for a protest with me? My BR elder hen has no issue keeping young chicks in line during our protest.

ohiogoatgirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
i think those idiots should spend a month on several small farms! a month on each farm! they probably never even seen a live chicken let alone milked a goat!!! if people really protest i'll bring my milk stand and goats for them to see the real deal. i might even bring the neighbors herd queen for them to try... which would be great because she is huge and does not like to be milked!!! ha ha ha!!!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Did you all write the governor yet??? HINT HINT!!!!

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Is this something that people from other states can reasonably protest?

Because all you need is for "precedent" to be set somewhere, and pretty soon we'd all be fighting. No one is in this alone ...

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Soooo, if I lived there, I would have to give all my goats regular haircuts?

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
I live in Ohio, and I responded. The form allows anyone to respond, you don't have to id your state.
In the comments section:
What exactly do vague references such as this include?

3) Enclosures including fencing must be designed and maintained so as to minimize bruising and injury and provide safety for humans and other animals;

What does "minimize" mean in any objective sense? Is judgement of these vague guidelines going to be left to a bureaucrat who may never have been on family farm? Does this mean I could be told that I can't use electic fencing at the whim of someone who believes electric fencing is inhumane?

How many people in Ohio get sick from "bad" goat's milk each year? What problem are we trying to solve here with yet more regulations?

Suggestions section:
Stop wasting time on drafting vague and useless regulations that will allow small farm and backyard hobbies to be harassed, fined, and otherwise oppressed by an overreaching government out of touch with the reality of the lives of the citizens of Ohio.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
OR.......we could just simply ignore the regulations. Conduct business as usual. Sorta like S.S.S. only in a more "humane" way. :D