Ohiofarmgirl'sAdventuresinTheGoodLand-where ya been? whatcha been doin

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Happy rainy Friday. :rolleyes: It feels like a hot-chocolate/mocha cappuccino kind of day. It's brewing now.

My cat was finishing a rather large rodent on the porch when I walked out. She always starts with the head. :sick I saw a chipmunk fighting back at Linus the other day but I think the cats have won the war.

You know - I've never bought produce from a farm market around here because I felt they are way overpriced. I don't know if that's because they are so bogged down in expensive permits and paperwork or if they are catering to the rich folks who think it's cool to go to a farm market. I used to go to buy local grown meat and dairy, but since I found SpringHill and he delivers to my door I haven't been back to a market.

say - how many tomatillos should grow on each plant? Mine only had a few and it was disappointing.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
TGIF!!! AND HAPPY AUTUMN!!!!

gunnison-national-forest-colorado-col175.jpg

eta: found the pic online. we aren't that golden yet.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Speaking of dogs killing rats, I'll never forget the day (while we were living in the city) when we discovered rats were breeding under our compost bin. My son Trouble was little and we had adopted a wonderful golden retriever puppy because they were "sweet" and "gentle" and should be a good companion for my rowdy son. Well Trouble points his little boy finger at the rats that emerged from under the bin when it was upturned and says "get em, Raider!" and the sweet and gentle golden goes crashing through the grass, neatly catches a rat body between his teeth and gave it one savage shake! Snap....squueeeeeeeK! He brought us the dead rat like he was bringing a ball back to us and laid it on the ground like we taught him to do with balls.

I also remember when one of my friends lived in a city apartment, she was sleeping on her bed and a MOUSE ran over the covers (she was laying there with her baby, too). :ep She screamed and LEFT the apartment until her husband had it exterminated. I told her she needed a cat.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Our favorite rat story involves a pet rat.

My D2 always had pet rats growing up. Most of them would play on her bed each night while she was reading her book before bed. (BTW they always went back into their pen to potty) . One night my D1 who was sharing a room with D2 woke up to a snuffling in her ear!! I would have totally freaked I am sure, but not D1. She laid very still and composed herself then with a quick swoop scruffed the rat!

She said she was not sure if it was a wild mouse or if the pet rat had escaped so she fought the urge to smack and kill it and scruffed it instead. I guess even then she was tuning up to be a vet tech. :lol:

AL

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Rats are yet another area I had a very confused childhood :lol:
I had pet rats - the white ones. I had Mickey, Minnie and Rooney (true story lol). When Hurricane Elena came through, I had 23 rats, 2 dogs and a cat in my room with me (I insisted they needed to stay in the house, so my folks said, "Ok , in YOUR room".

We also had big "Rat killin' days" . Everyone would have a weapon of choice (I always took our Cattle Dog, Libby) and stand at a rat hole, then my mom would run the water hose down in another one. It was more violent than Grand Theft Auto anyday lol . I do remember one time though a rat so big ran out that Libby paused before going after it, as if she was thinking "What the heck IS that thing?!?!?" She kept it from getting into the sage brush next door and my brother pulled her off and shot it.

Ahhhh memories ;)

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Hate rats in the yard!!! We had a collie/GSD mix when I was a kid that would corner one and snap its neck with one quick shake of her head. We had them here one summer. We were able to trap them all and haven't seen one since. I was repulsed by them yet impressed with their intelligence.
I worked in a pet store for a short time. One day while cleaning cages I must have somehow scooped up this black rat while taking bedding out of its cage. It wasn't until I was about to dump everything in the dumpster that I noticed something wiggling. I ended up walking back to the store with him sitting on my shoulder. I came very close to buying him and bringing him home.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Word to the wise - do not attempt eating breakfast while reading OFG's blog post on bumble foot surgery :sick

Not sure I can finish my eggs now.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
*tap tap tap as SD raps on OFG's front door

Yooo Whooooo? Whar ARE youuuuuuu?

*looks up and down porch and tries to stand on tiptoe to look through the peephole in the door.

Haven't seen OFG around lately, where the heck is she?

*SD sits down on the porch in a pout and begins to bawl....

"I want my daily dose of OFG and I want it NOW! My morning coffee is boring......
no one is inspiring me to can anything.......
The dogs miss the stories of Kai and Ti and the rest of the gang.....and my goats think they need to impersonate Nibbles if they can't hear about her.
No one is talking about bacon, or even GAS..."
SD begins to bawl louder, then she sniffs back her tears and stands up to begin the chant.

We want OFG! We want OFG! We want OFG!

*SD feels a rumble in the earth as the chant begins to take off and is echoed all over, beginning in Ohio and swelling to encompass the entire continent and even beyond......

AL

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
LOL too much rat talk.... I think last report she was seen running across West Virginia waving her arms and screaming for SOMEBODY to "Do something"

lol