Ohiofarmgirl'sAdventuresinTheGoodLand-where ya been? whatcha been doin

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
yes but did the raccoons give them WORMS! aahhghhghghghhghhhhh

when my brother was in AU they were attacked by wombats. thats the funniest camping story i've ever heard.

;-)

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
bibliophile birds said:
i HATE people who feed bears. bears that are fed must be euthanized because they become a danger. it's terrible, but it is what the park rangers have to do to keep park visitors safe.
Shouldn't their job be to keep the PARKS safe?

I never understood that.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I know we were visiting Assateague Island several years ago. (For those who don't know, that's where the Chincoteague ponies live.) There were signs up all over the place warning people NOT to feed or interact w/the horses. I couldn't believe the number of people that I saw feeding them, putting their arms around them, etc-including the stallions! I thought of saying something, but figured, why bother? It's not going to stop them. I heard someone say one time that stupid should hurt.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Do they still have Pony Penning Day, Deb?

I ready Misty of Chincoteague!

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Yep. It was a dream of mine in childhood to go. Now, I don't want to. Too many people, too much noise, etc. However, they do swim the ponies over later in the year, but I forget the reasoning behind that. Most people don't know about it. If I ever got the chance, I would like to see that.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
Yep. It was a dream of mine in childhood to go. Now, I don't want to. Too many people, too much noise, etc. However, they do swim the ponies over later in the year, but I forget the reasoning behind that. Most people don't know about it. If I ever got the chance, I would like to see that.
I believe they do the gelding and more shots etc at that time.

We went to Grant's Farm in St. Louis a few years back and they had a pretty little paddock, white fence and all, in one area with a Clydesdale mare and foal in it. The area had a sign telling the history of the Clydesdales and how Budweiser started the hitch. While we were there we saw a person climb the fence and set their probably year old child on the back of the FOAL and go back through the fence to take the picture!! I thought I was going to DIE! By the time I got there to have my fit (I was trying NOT to spook the foal) they went back through the fence snagged the kid and headed off.

Talk about STUPID!! It was just fortunate that it was a big calm draft foal.

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
abifae said:
bibliophile birds said:
i HATE people who feed bears. bears that are fed must be euthanized because they become a danger. it's terrible, but it is what the park rangers have to do to keep park visitors safe.
Shouldn't their job be to keep the PARKS safe?

I never understood that.
yes, i agree. but it's that double edged sword that if the visitors aren't safe then they don't visit which makes keeping the park running pretty difficult.

mostly i think a LOT of park visitors miss the point of parks, especially here. the Great Smokey Mountains are the most visited National Park and are really accessible by car... which means that lots of dumb, lazy people come drive through our mountains and "get in touch with nature" while never having to leave their air conditioning. which is why we are also the most polluted national park- we have really bad air pollution in the summer because of all the cars driving through (and because of lots of power plants in the surrounding areas).

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I think we need to hear OFG's wombat camping story....she teased us with that earlier and we let her slide.

:pop

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
Denim Deb said:
I believe they do the gelding and more shots etc at that time.

We went to Grant's Farm in St. Louis a few years back and they had a pretty little paddock, white fence and all, in one area with a Clydesdale mare and foal in it. The area had a sign telling the history of the Clydesdales and how Budweiser started the hitch. While we were there we saw a person climb the fence and set their probably year old child on the back of the FOAL and go back through the fence to take the picture!! I thought I was going to DIE! By the time I got there to have my fit (I was trying NOT to spook the foal) they went back through the fence snagged the kid and headed off.

Talk about STUPID!! It was just fortunate that it was a big calm draft foal.
And if the kid had been hurt, they would have blamed the foal, not their own stupidity. :he