Ohiofarmgirl'sAdventuresinTheGoodLand-where ya been? whatcha been doin

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
its been an epic day. i got the kitchen cleaned up thanks to Old Fashioned helping with the dishes.... now just gotta flip the feta one more time, flip the roquefort and hide it from the Insane Cat Posse, and take 2 more buckets of whey out to the compost.

if this keeps up i'm gonna need a cheese cave.

*dreams of having a bulldozer to dig a cave out of the side of the hill*

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ok, i have a possibly silly question. do you have to heat the milk for all cheeses? if so, how can cheese be "raw" or unpasteurized since pasteurization is just heating milk to kill off microorganisms? wouldn't the heating of the milk MAKE it pasteurized?

i ask because it's illegal to sell raw milk here in Tennessee. you CAN do cow-shares but i'm pretty sure that doesn't extend to cheese... it would be nice to find a loophole because we'd very much like to get into selling small batch, home-made cheeses.

i know you don't sell your cheese OFG, but i thought you might have a better idea of the technicalities of "raw" cheese.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
And again, I miss all the fun! I wouldn't have let that typo go either! :lol: :gig :lol:

Just one question, since I thought we left OFG strapped to the bed wearing a backwards jacket, how'd she get loose?

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
how'd i get loose... i have my ways......

Shine would be the head of the CIA and Bobbi, the elusive other barncat, would run off the books black ops .......
* thinks of how the extraction team was deployed, arrived in silent helo's, rappelled down the side of the building, dodged the laser security systems and sprung me without setting off alarms. *

Bibbird - to pasteurize the cheese you have to hit a certain temp - i think 160*. with cheese making even a "high" temp (like 124* like today's parm) doesnt really get close to it.

the loophole is (around here) that you have to age a cheese for 60 days, i think. someone around her does this and makes feta that they can sell.

or you can be a diary and be subject to all the regulations. mostly you need to be inspected and have a separate building with electric and hot water plumbing to process. i'm not seeing that in my future. while a goat blue cheese on the coasts would be much sought after... around here anyone i've told has burst into flames b/c the cheese wasnt electric orange and from kraft. blech.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Where are those whey eating pigs at!!

I would have a hard time pouring out the whey... I just know I would. I realize that you have lots and lots of it, but man ... wish I had some. :/

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
My chickens did not care for the whey. What all would you do with it?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
You get better at pouring out the whey, trust me! It is great for the compost and will grow wonderful veggies so it is not wasted. Although pigs and whey=happy pigs!

My chickens won't touch it. They get enough failed cheese and soured milk so whey is not interesting to them anymore.

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm not sure how I ended up doing dishes, but the cheese is sure good

*cough*cough*cough*.........wait, I think I'm hacking up a hairball :gig