OK, I'm curious....kombucha question

urban dreamer

I wanna farm
Reaction score
After seeing a picture of a giant booger kombucha tea mother I have to know what the h*** dose that taste like and what the benefits are of drinking this stuff. Do you just pour out the tea from around the mother or are there more steps involved. Is it sold commercially?

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
http://www.anahatabalance.com/teakombucha2.html

It kinda tastes like apple cider. Hubby, dh ds and I love it. DD does not, but will have it in her smoothies. I believe you can buy it commercially in a can, but making it could not be easier.(or cheaper) If you're interested, there are plentyof ppl herewho wold send you a scoby.

I have four gallons going all the time. One batch can taste different from the next depending on fermenting conditions and how long you let it sit, but I have not had one batch that I didn't like.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:lol: I wonder which giant booger you saw? It IS rather strange looking :)

This is the best thread on this forum RE: kombucha. http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2666

If you can brew sweet tea, you can make kombucha. You can also mix the kombucha with stuff to make it palatable if you don't like the taste. We drink the newer brew (sweeter) straight, and the older (more sour/tart) mixed into cold drinks.

DH's acid reflux has GONE AWAY since we started drinking it regularly.

urban dreamer

I wanna farm
Reaction score
noobiechickenlady said:
:lol: I wonder which giant booger you saw? It IS rather strange looking :)

This is the best thread on this forum RE: kombucha. http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2666

If you can brew sweet tea, you can make kombucha. You can also mix the kombucha with stuff to make it palatable if you don't like the taste. We drink the newer brew (sweeter) straight, and the older (more sour/tart) mixed into cold drinks.

DH's acid reflux has GONE AWAY since we started drinking it regularly.
I wonder :rolleyes: Thanks for the site!

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I still haven't learned this end of it (make your own) but I can vouch that yes, you can buy it. And it tends to be very expensive in health food stores! That's the only kind Ive tried and didn't like it, but I hear lots of good things about the potential benefits.

:)

urban dreamer

I wanna farm
Reaction score
I'm gonna have to try it. My curiousity is getting the best of me. There are a couple of health-food stores in town.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Homemade ANYTHING is very different from storebought...so please don't dismiss kombucha if you don't like the $4 for 12 oz highway robbery version! It costs maybe $0.25-.50 per gallon to make at home. I can't stand it straight, but simply crave it mixed with homemade chai tea.

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I've been very curious about it. And I've seen the difference in too many homemade things I love that I can't stand the storebought ones. I've only tried a bottled version with echinacea and a tea version with green tea and kombucha.

Chai tea is one of my absolute favorites -- especially with a touch of vanilla. I might have to give that a try. :)

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I LOVE kombucha! I was making my own for quite awile but life got in the way and I killed of my scoby. :rolleyes:

I would love another if anyone is inclined to send me some....I'd be happy to pay shipping :D

We always drank it a little *younger* when it was still a smidge sweet. Mine tasted a lot like Martinellis sparkling cider, except not nearly as sweet. Good Stuff!

urban dreamer

I wanna farm
Reaction score
I want to try it. But it had been discontinued at our local health food store for "undisclosed alcohol content". :rolleyes: Free, could you pretty please give me your recipe for Chai Tea? I know I love that! :lol: I am thinking about mabey asking for a scoby...mabey.