OK, I'm curious....kombucha question

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
freemotion said:
Hubby puts his in a glass of water with a glug or two of one of those 100% juices such as pomegranate/blueberry that we can get at a nearby discount store. I love mine with chai and stevia. I prefer the sugar-free version.
As in regular chai tea? Just brew up a pot of tea, let it cool and add kombucha?

Putting fruit in it sounds kinda cool, maybe I will give that a try too I do think that dd will like the tea.
My chai recipe evolves. I simmer spices and fresh ginger root, covered, for 30 minutes then turn off the heat and let it sit at room temp for 12-24 hours. I put a note on the lid so no one (read: DH!) lifts the lid and allows contaminants in. I strain and bottle it the next day. It is very concentrated. I keep this concentrate in the fridge.

Although each batch is unique, I generally use 1 part chai concentrate, 1 part kombucha, 2 parts water, and a half-dropperful of stevia or 1-2 packets.

For hot chai tea, I brew a black tea bag in 1:3 chai:water. This is also very good as iced tea.

Basic recipe for two quarts of water:
1 cinnamon stick, about 4 inches
1/2 a nutmeg (crack a whole one with a pair of pliers or a hammer)
10 or more whole allspice seeds
grated or thinly sliced ginger root, scrubbed but not peeled, about the size of your five fingers. For a gallon, I use the size of my entire hand and fingers.

Lately I've also been adding approx:
4 whole black peppercorns
5-6 whole cardamom pods
4-5 whole cloves

You can use it earlier than the 12-24 hours, but it really mellows and develops a robust flavor after a day of steeping.