OK, I'm curious....kombucha question

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I'm always happy to ship kombucha and kefir, but only when the weather gets cold. It'll just die in the plane hold or in the hot mail truck. Maybe someone closer has one for you?

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
urban dreamer said:
I want to try it. But it had been discontinued at our local health food store for "undisclosed alcohol content". :rolleyes:
Yeah apparently the commercial ones had way too high of an alcohol content. I have looked for them several times since mine died and recently have had trouble finding any.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
My daughter and I enjoy kombucha. My FIL loved it so much that MIL stopped making it--figured it must be alcoholic :)

Kombucha afficionados claim that it does everything from curing cancer to treat yeast outbreaks. I have not noticed any difference except that when my SCOBY died I was craving soda. I think kombucha is the perfect soda substitute--sharp and bubbly but without the junk.

You can make kombucha to your taste. I don't brew mine super long, as I prefer it to be a bit sweet yet when I drink it. If it gets brewed longer, it starts to taste as tart as vinegar...

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
What all do you guys mix your kombucha with? As I said earlier three of us like it as is, well, hubby waters his down, but dd does not like it at all. If I could find something for her to mix it with, maybe she will drink it.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
We drink ours straight. It is awesome bottled up with a sprig of mint. My kombucha teacher bottles her with berries sometimes.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Hubby puts his in a glass of water with a glug or two of one of those 100% juices such as pomegranate/blueberry that we can get at a nearby discount store. I love mine with chai and stevia. I prefer the sugar-free version.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Hubby puts his in a glass of water with a glug or two of one of those 100% juices such as pomegranate/blueberry that we can get at a nearby discount store. I love mine with chai and stevia. I prefer the sugar-free version.
As in regular chai tea? Just brew up a pot of tea, let it cool and add kombucha?

Putting fruit in it sounds kinda cool, maybe I will give that a try too I do think that dd will like the tea.

urban dreamer

I wanna farm
Reaction score
I would have to hide the scoby from DF (he thinks I've lost it). Who is close enough to AR to ship a scoby baby when the weather gets colder? I am a soda addict (I know its bad).

I think it's noobiechickenlady.