Okay...post your herd pics here! **Dial-up Warning**

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
WOW!!!! I am seriously loving this thread! These animals are totally beautiful....and now I'm getting horse envy, BBH...thanks! :rolleyes:

Free, the fermented foods are obviously bloating your goats, as they seem very chunky monkey and fit. :lol: I'm thinking the miniature goats just look thicker than regular goats, don't they? I'm remembering the goats my sis raised when I was young and had to help her milk....they were in good condition but didn't seem to have those thick torsos.

Of course, they were milk breeds like Nubian and Saanen(sp?) goats, so much lankier and taller.

Ginger Peach is definitely a good looking little girl....I'd put her up against any show gal I've been seeing in the other forums.

BBH, that last pic was sweet and both gals are adorable! :love

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Beautiful animals!

I'm glad I finally got to see the Mya! She's very pretty, you should be proud Monique!

Did any of her kids survive?

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Ok, I got a couple pics taken, but not near as many as I wanted to. I'll try to get pics of the rest of em tomorrow.

Here are two of Ann Robin. Born June of last year.
010-10.jpg

008-9.jpg

Blanche, near same age as Ann Robin.
009-7.jpg

013-8.jpg

Libby. Not the greatest pic of her. but let me tell you, she is a PIG! She needs to eat a lot support the amount of milk she produces. Shes a first freshener. Gave birth to three healthy girls (one drown in a water bucket) on the 23rd of April I believe. She currently is giving a gallon a day. My mom purchased her for $60 at an auction on a whim. She got lucky =P
007-8.jpg

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
Awww, BB, those are beautiful animals, so healthy looking. I especially like Ann Robin sporting around that purple collar.

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
Free, your animals look outstanding. And you're right, as far as butts go, Ginger Peach has one of the cutest ones I've seen. :gig

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
Everyone's animals look great!

Noobie, your little girl is adorable!

Dace, all the chickens look happy.

Free, your goats are perfect! What is up with chickens not wanting to eat their "scratch"? Mine live on air too. Glad I'm not the only one.

Shadow (Fabio) poses for everything. He is a total flirt. My last vet and her tech were female and he flirted with them while they gave him his shots! He loves the ladies!

I have one other horse named "Twinky" she was the most abused mentally and physically. She tried to die twice before I could nurse her back to health.

I'm going to take her photo right now. Be right back!

eta: here she is, it isnt a recent photo, it was taken in March I believe. She is about 26 years young! Look at that booty! (Oh, that is my baby girl there in the photo.)
http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/uploads/912_sending_to_mom_3_007.jpg
BBH, your horses and sheep are stunning. I think the horse is one of God's most beautiful creatures.

Your daughter is quite the cutie, too.

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Some folks were talking on my porch the other day and we thought it would be nice to start a thread about our herds...post a pic or two and tell how you are managing, feeding, etc. your herd and what works for you.

I know we have a forum for that, but some of the folks there are a little less than cordial when us SSers want to discuss alternative and/or cheaper methods of raising our homestead animals.

I'd also like to put in a request to have a topic on this forum for "Homestead Animals" in which to place this kind of thread. Seems like we all have animals for food and for fun and it would be nice to have a place to talk about them, specifically. :) Pretty please? :fl

A few pics of my "herds"....

The Bettys, a hair sheep cross of St. Croix/Katahdin, at 4 mo. and 7 mo. old:

http://sufficientself.com/forum/uploads/5_after_of_cow_010.jpg

http://sufficientself.com/forum/uploads/5_the_bettys.jpg

Black Betty and her "Got food?" face:

http://sufficientself.com/forum/uploads/5_100_0043.jpg

The chickens:
http://sufficientself.com/forum/uploads/5_varied_pics_of_dogs_chickens_kids_horses_078.jpg

I like to use mostly graze for a food source and I like to stick with the more natural~and cheap~approach to animal husbandry. Here is a great link to alternative internal parasite control:

http://www.abdn.ac.uk/organic/organic_14c.php

NOW....it's your turn! Bring em on and may the good Lord help all us dial-up folks! :D
Oh, Bee! I just had a thought. Can I borrow Black Betty's "Got food?" pic and print it to put on a card for a friend who is not feeling well? Sort of like a "Hello, and how are you today?" I think she will get a kick out of it. Of course, I will give you all the credit.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Everyone's animals are SOOOO cute!!! And amazingly healthy-looking. Imagine that! You can save money and "cut corners" and your animals can still thrive, not just barely survive. Of course, we all are the "A" students and do lots of research and make intelligent and well-thought-out decisions.

BBH, you are a talented photographer as well as having stunning animals...and a kid!

Tabatha, Babygirl is SOOO cute, I can't take my eyes of that cute face!

Dace, I just want to smooch your Hairball on the schnoz!

Merle, I WANT BLANCHE!!!! She looks like a snow squall!

Of course, the famous Betty's....in spite of the horrors of what they are fed....look very snuggly yet sleek at the same time!

It is so great to see everyone's birds free-ranging, too. Love it.

Bee, the pygmies are meat goats, and are very thick and chunky. They get big and fat on nothing. Truth be told, I got them for my horse, and for several years they had no minerals or baking soda. I started reading when I got Mya! I just kept the first two the same way we kept goats when I was a kid. And they survived just fine. But they are not "modern" goats who are, as you so nicely put it, propped up by pharmaceuticals. Natural culling developed goats who can survive....and thrive....on whatever they can get ahold of.

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Monique; I think you just came up with a name for a future baby! I was already going with the natural distater type theme! Avalanche (rhymes with Blanche), Landslide, and now Snow Squall. Now she better have three babies!

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I love seeing everyone's *herds* :thumbsup

I really love the goaties and sheeple! Someday I will have some snorfable pets!

Latest posts